Completed Meanwell / Thin Mini-ITX Accessories : Load Switch and PCIe x4 Powered Riser

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Do you mean chaining these 3 risers ?

+

+

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Slowly working on a first prototype based on the PCM5-QM77 motherboard and our custom riser.

I had the back panel laser cut : everything fits just fine.

Looking at a 250 x 230 x 70 mm footprint, including a 250W open-frame PSU.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi @JarrettP, yes I have only one for sale, currently wired with two 18AWG input wires and two 18AWG output wires.
There is room for more wires if you do not mind soldering on PCB pads.

May I ask what kind of setup you have in mind ?

Here is the beast :

JarrettP

Cable Smoosher
New User
Oct 27, 2017
Hi @JarrettP, yes I have only one for sale, currently wired with two 18AWG input wires and two 18AWG output wires.
There is room for more wires if you do not mind soldering on PCB pads.

May I ask what kind of setup you have in mind ?

Here is the beast :

I'm planning on running a 1080ti off of a 250w AC to DC power supply while the rest of the PC is on another supply, hence the need for a load switch.

My goal is to stuff an 8700k, Zotac 1080ti mini, and their power supplies into a Skyreach Mini. I still haven't figured out the exact PSU placement since I'll have to use 2 AC to DC supplies plus a G-Unique for the mobo, but It looks like it should work.

This build is gonna be quite a bit more involved than an external brick build, so some light soldering is the least of my concerns.

Reactions: Jonny727272

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Or a flexible m.2 to PCIe-4x + powered riser :D

This is more likely the kind of extender that I will use. A few people here have bought cables from them before, and they look well-built. It will be PCIe to PCIe on both ends, though.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I'm planning on running a 1080ti off of a 250w AC to DC power supply while the rest of the PC is on another supply, hence the need for a load switch.

My goal is to stuff an 8700k, Zotac 1080ti mini, and their power supplies into a Skyreach Mini. I still haven't figured out the exact PSU placement since I'll have to use 2 AC to DC supplies plus a G-Unique for the mobo, but It looks like it should work.

This build is gonna be quite a bit more involved than an external brick build, so some light soldering is the least of my concerns.

I had this load switch designed for this very purpose :) Price is 30 € excl. shipping, which should cost around 10€.
To help with your design, PCB Size will be 17.02x27.03 mm (with heatshrink and cables probably around 2x4cm).

Fitting two of these units in a S4 seems quite difficult to me : they're not that small and need around 20 CFM of airflow under load.
Why not going for an external brick and an internal EPP-400-12 ?

BTW, I am aiming at exactly the same setup :) dual GTX 1070 powered by an EPP-400-12, rest of the system powered by an EPP-300-12.

JarrettP

Cable Smoosher
New User
Oct 27, 2017
I had this load switch designed for this very purpose :) Price is 30 € excl. shipping, which should cost around 10€.
To help with your design, PCB Size will be 17.02x27.03 mm (with heatshrink and cables probably around 2x4cm).

Fitting two of these units in a S4 seems quite difficult to me : they're not that small and need around 20 CFM of airflow under load.
Why not going for an external brick and an internal EPP-400-12 ?

BTW, I am aiming at exactly the same setup :) dual GTX 1070 powered by an EPP-400-12, rest of the system powered by an EPP-300-12.

The EPP-400-12 itself actually won't fit in the S4 with a graphics card installed. It's a 3x5 power supply. Only 2x4 power supplies will fit.

I'm on mobile right now, so I can't share my mockups, but I'm looking at using supplies made by Artesyn and Bel power since they're both 2x4.

The Artesyn is rated for 250w continuous with 300 LFM of airflow, which is about 20 CFM. That should be enough to power the GPU while having a small enough form factor to fit in front of the motherboard with 2 50mm fans at 11 CFM each.

The Bel supply is 225w rated with 13 CFM of ariflow. It's short enough (25.4 mm) to fit next to the GPU with 4 25mm fans, 2 on each side, totaling 14 CFM. This is for the rest of the system.

Like I said, it's pretty tight but it should work.

€40 sounds like a reasonable price, and with this build I'm not really worried about that anyways.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I happen to have the 250W Artesyn CPS253-M ; it's so tiny compared to the EPP-300-12, which provides only 45W more !
It costs twice the price though...

I guess you already saw it, but Acbel (EOS Power in Europe) also makes a very thin 5 x 3" unit 275W, only 19 mm high.

You can indeed try to fit two 2 x 4" open-frame PSUs in a S4 but I would be a bit worried by temperatures, especially the 1080 Mini.
You still have the option to power your system with a 12V 192W AC Adapter from Mini-Box and your GPU with an open-frame PSU.

Last edited:

JarrettP

Cable Smoosher
New User
Oct 27, 2017
I happen to have the 250W Artesyn CPS253-M ; it's so tiny compared to the EPP-300-12, which provides only 45W more !

I guess you already saw it, but Acbel (EOS Power in Europe) also makes a very thin 5 x 3" unit 275W, only 19 mm high.

You can indeed try to fit two 2 x 4" open-frame PSUs in a S4 but I would be a bit worried by temperatures, especially the 1080 Mini.
You still have the option to power your system with a 12V 192W AC Adapter from Mini-Box and your GPU with an open-frame PSU.
Actually, I hadn't seen that Acbel 275w. That's a really interesting form factor. I don't think it would work with my build, but regardless it's interesting.

I thought heat would be a problem too when I was planning my build with the S4 Mini, but the Skyreach has better side vents which I'm planning on exhausting hot air through.

Once I get everything assembled I'm going to build some custom housings and shrouds for the power supplies to vent them out of the case.

The Bel power supply (the one I'm putting by the GPU) shouldn't be making much heat anyways, since the CPU won't draw all 225w.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

2% ripple and noise. ATX specs is 1%. You would need additional regulation.

I'm sure it is usable but I'd be a bit worried about longevity of the motherboard

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
2% ripple and noise. ATX specs is 1%. You would need additional regulation.

I'm sure it is usable but I'd be a bit worried about longevity of the motherboard

You're referring to the Acbel unit, right? The Artesyn CPS253-M has a R&N of 120mV Pk-Pk, which works out to 1%, I think...

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That thin Acbel PSU is very interesting. Don't suppose you could put it in the same metal enclosure that is in the PSUs for AIO PCs, given the dimensions?

They also have even smaller ones for lower wattages. The 120W/180W version would fit well in a mini PC case like mine. But yeah, they are on the more expensive side.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Thehack : according to the Artesyn CPS250-M documentation, only the Line and Neutral wires are connected to the input connector.
The Earth wire is to be crimped with a ring terminal and attached to the chassis or the PSU PCB, right ?

Regarding that ring terminal, is it "better" to place it over the PCB or under it (between PCB and spacer) ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack : according to the Artesyn CPS250-M documentation, only the Line and Neutral wires are connected to the input connector.
The Earth wire is to be crimped with a ring terminal and attached to the chassis or the PSU PCB, right ?

Regarding that ring terminal, is it "better" to place it over the PCB or under it (between PCB and spacer) ?

You should see open solder points or some kind of plating around the hole. Place the ring terminal so it makes contact with the metal.