Completed Meanwell / Thin Mini-ITX Accessories : Load Switch and PCIe x4 Powered Riser

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@duke00 you GPU needs 12V ;) The riser only switches ON/OFF the +12V current provided to your GPU by a 12V PSU.

Those are looking really good! I'd like to get my hands on one, even if the card is just 75W.

No problem, you just don't use the 8-Pin connector. Less wires ;)

Since those are angled inwards to make the card sit above the motherboard, can you tell me how much clearance is below for a CPU cooler? My thin mini ITX board has the CPU socket right below where the GPU will sit, so I'd want to know if my super slim 21mm cooler will fit there.

The GPU PCB seats around 20 mm above the motherboard PCB : not enough clearance for a 21 mm cooler.
Easiest solution would be to use an Intel HTS1155LP cooler :

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@duke00 you GPU needs 12V ;) The riser only switches ON/OFF the +12V current provided to your GPU by a 12V PSU.

No problem, you just don't use the 8-Pin connector. Less wires ;)

The GPU PCB seats around 20 mm above the motherboard PCB : not enough clearance for a 21 mm cooler.
Easiest solution would be to use an Intel HTS1155LP cooler :

Oof, my cooler barely didn't make the cut. The 21mm cooler I'm using is the following one: Ultrathin 21mm - it would also require a bit of breathing room above. I could also go with the HTS1155LP though it means the case would be a bit wider.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
You could have your AIO PSU on top of the HTS1155LP cooler ;)

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
My idea was to use an 19v ac-Dc psu and connect it to the thin itx board. Then i wanna use the internal dc Power pin to power your riser card, nur then the dc Pin has the same voltage like the external psu so 19v. That is the reason why i ask.
So you can use more powerful hardware

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Any rough idea when the riser might be ready to be sold? I'm eagerly anticipating for one and plan to purchase a single slot card from Rakuten (US stores don't carry many of them). I could see this being used for very compact builds about 50mm tall.

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
It's on !!

Just received the first two units, the remaining PCBs and most of the components !

Two input options :

- Wires directly soldered to the PCB pads
- Screw terminals

@CC Ricers : Input wires have already been soldered for testing purposes.
If you need the screw terminal version, it'll take two more weeks (still waiting for the hardware to arrive).

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm guessing you've already tested them and they are working, then. Not sure yet if I will get one with the screw terminals or not, as I have a few more parts I'm waiting to be shipped as well. I won't be able to test my setup without them.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The designer tested them succesfully. I'm going to do that today :)

Let me know which wiring option you prefer.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I can wait for the option for screw-on terminals. I'm only able to get so far as test-fitting a few parts because I still need a CPU and RAM for the board.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Just made a VLP custom cooler for my QM77 motherboard : a custom alu plate holding a flat coolpipe in contact with both the CPU and chipset, cooled by a Zalman VF900 @ 5V.

CPU is a 45W i7 3630QM with 2 x 4 GB DDR3 @ 2166.
FYI, the CPU was stabled at 27° after 30 min of bios display.

Now I can properly test the 16X version of my thin itx riser !

I used an Asus ROG20 riser just to boot the system. Everything's fine. Old school Megatrends bios !
Almost 1U with a single slot GTX 1050 Ti from Inno3D.

Next boot will be with my riser, a Meanwell-EPP-300-12 and a Win 10 fresh install !

Last edited:
Reactions: CC Ricers and Kmpkt

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Running a GPU at 16X on a thin mini-ITX motherboard !!

The 16X version of the riser works wonderfully.

Reactions: Jello

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
We have some complete 4X risers on sales. I will create the Sales thread by tomorrow.

- Two are ready to ship,
- Two will be finished upon order. The big BTS555 Mosfet is pretty expensive ; we are going to order them upon order confirmation.

As a reminder :

- Input : two screw-on terminals, to power the riser from any 12V source.
- Output : one 8-Pin Mini-Fit Jr connector, to power your GPU or anything that needs 12V (fans, etc.).

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@duke00, thanks for your interest.
The price has been set to 35€ excl. shipping (from France).

I will start a proper sales thread.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looking forward to buying one of them! I wonder how well the compatibility would be if it is connected it via an extender to a mini PCIe or NGFF (m.2) slot for data. I guess it depends on the motherboard.

Reactions: aquelito