Meanwell LED Driver for ITX Fanless Power Supply

snoopy20

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 10, 2020
Hi there,

A new user here, I'm building up an ITX gig. So far I've struggled to find a power supply that is fanless and has good efficiency with active power correction, other than silly priced rebrands. I doubt I need more than 80W total. As meanwell has a good rep I began looking at them and found this one on eBay. I checked it out and it's 91% efficiency.

It also has a small size, a neat design. With a suitable PICO it should work fine right?

Cheers,

Andrew

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
the ripple on the PSU is a bit high at 150mv p-p, atx spec is 120mv p-p.
it might be worth a shot though.

a popular solution is meanwell's epp series maybe use the epp-100-12 +pico unit?

there's also a while thread for this kind of thing right here in the forums! (I'll edit with the link)

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016

jk I'm just going to make a new reply because I'm lazy

snoopy20

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 10, 2020
That would only be the 12v line anyhow which I think is used mainly to power the CPU and goes through a further buck on the motherboard. The PICO would lower the ripple further for the 5/3v lines.

EPP-100 looks almost identical for efficency, worth a shot. Looking forward to the link, thanks!

snoopy20

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 10, 2020
Oh I think I've had it wrong. I thought the 12v went into the PICO and then into the 24 pin ATX supply, I forgot about the separate 4 pin 12v line. So now I think the 12v goes into the PCB, the PICO goes into the 24 pin where it's picking up the 12V and creating the 5v/3v lines.

So the question is what is using the 12v line for the ripple to be an issue? I assumed it was being bucked to a much lower voltage for the CPU and RAM.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
honestly I'm not 100% sure, the extent of my knowledge is in some model numbers and 120mv atx spec being a thing. you could always try the PSU you linked, high ripple to my knowledge just causes issues with system stability.

you might get more/ better replies from the smarter folks in the 12v thread, though.