Log mATX media server / future NAS (SAMA IM01)

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Latest updates: Put the Arctic P12 Max back on top, and changed the fan curve to something less aggressive. Under full load, the temps are now just 1 - 2 C higher, so it stayed at maximum 51 C, after 5 1/2 hours of live streaming with OBS, Visualizer (which tend to run on the CPU), audio stuff etc.

I really like that this fan also has that 0db feature "built in"; it's nearly inaudible below ~1000 rpm, even though its sitting OUTSIDE the case ;)

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: Arboreal

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
For installing any kind of Hotswap or even just proper drive cage, one needs to get a bit creative. I took a look at similar sized cases like the ones by Silverstone (eg. the Sugo SG11 and its NAS / SAN / Server twin, the CS351), and the one major difference they all have is: The PSU location, and thus, the dedicated position of the drive cage.

Ie. the PSU tends to be located right above the mainboard, hence limiting the CPU cooler height by quite a bit, but is also meant to redirect the air from the top blower fan out of the back of the case.

The choices readily available for the SAMA / Inter-Tech Pocket are a bit different:
- 3.5" drives mounted on the side bracket
- 3.5" drives mounted on the bottom bracket
- drive mounted on the top bracket

In theory, there is also a bit of space left in the front, where the PSU is located, but thanks to the nasty cables of the FSP, its mostly functioning as a cable salad container.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
On another note: Been pondering if I just should move everything to the soon-to-be vacant Meshlicious. Ie. do the Mesh-mATX mods, but go for air cooling. Should be easily done with the amount of LP CPU coolers I've aquired. The system doesnt need a GPU, and thus, I might be able to stack drives up quite nicely on the GPU side.

Currently looking into HDDs like the Seagate IronWolf or classic like WD Red / Yellow (or whatever is "teh hot stuff" nowadays), 4+ TB.
Should be RAID1, and then maybe use a small 1 TB SSD RAID1 for the immediate access stuff. With 32 GB RAM, the system could even be loaded into a ram drive and chug along happily, while still having enough RAM to spare.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
New plan: Got myself a Mars Computing MCMPro (basically the MC-400 w/o LED fans), which not only fits perfectly inside a Kallax shelf, but also does allow for front / back / side cooling. Yes, its a bad bad MFF case with 24ish L, but there really arent much good options for smallish PC cases that both fit into a Kallax shelf AND offer adequate airflow.

Thats an issue with the SAMA IM01, which is optimized for top-bottom airflow, and would only work out somewhat if I was to flip it to its side and add some kind of feet / spacers; probably much worse.

This new case is, quality-wise, a very cheap cube case, with very basic features, but should do the job. Comes with 3 fans that I'm throwing out (apparently 2 pin), and even features a fancy TG side panel, which is ok I guess? But as I wont be using it anyway, its one issue less to figure out - the case is going to sit flush with its TG side to the left shelf wall anyway :D

Several advantages over the SAMA so far:

a) Two-chamber design - which leaves more space for eg. dropping a 2x or 3x HDD cage inside, although the PSU chamber already comes with a 2x 3.5" cage. Also, if the air cooling got annoying in terms of noise at some point, one could throw in a 120 mm or even cheap 240 mm AIO; the latter one being total overkill for the 12400, but maybe I want to upgrade at some point? :D

Also, this should help with eg. the Wifi issue. In the SAMA IM01 / Inter-Tech Pocket, I could not install the Wifi card without interfering with the GPU cooling. Here, I dont need a GPU, but even if I did, I could much easier setup / route Riser cables etc.

b) The airflow - mesh panel to the (PSU / HDD) side, back / front panel with albeit not huge but decent openings, which could be improved with a bit of strategically applied power-drilling; front allows for 2x 120, maybe even 2x 140, back allows for one 120

c) General fit in a kallax shelf - as mentioned before.

cu, w0lf.