SFF.Network Many 200-Series Motherboards Leaked ahead of CES

With Intel's Kaby Lake soon to be released, many motherboard manufacturers are gearing up for their Intel chipset 200-series lineup. Although new features over the 100-series are limited, this did not keep board manufacturers from innovating and trying to bring something unique to the table.

Read more here.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Ah yes, the Samsung Note 7 fiasco resulting in other smartphone models increased production, needing NAND chips unexpectedly. I was hoping it would be over by now.

It isn't just smartphones (and Apple is as much to blame as Samsung in that arena). There are other factors in play such as
  • a massive rise in the use of SSDs in consumer PCs
  • data centers vacuuming up enterprise SSDs
  • data centers vacuuming up consumer oriented MLC drives
  • data centers getting desperate and turning to TLC drives too
  • a painful NPI process in converting FABs that used to make 2D NAND to 3D NAND.
A $30 billion investment by Qinghua into a Chinese DRAM and NAND FAB could mitigate that somewhat, but even in China where OSHA doesn't exist, building 4 walls and a roof will take at least six months.

TL;DR survive with what you have until 2018

Reactions: Phuncz

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
If they have a timeframe then they likely already submitted the PO for more stock, so you're probably fine.

My somewhat facetious advice is for people who don't want to pay more $/GB.

Reactions: CubanLegend

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Maybe this delay in 960 EVO 250GB M.2's is due to Lunar/Chinese New year?

I'm not privy to the inner workings of B&H, so I can't say one way or another.

What I will say is that all the factories in Samsung's (and other manufacturers of similar size) supply chain run 24.00000076 hours a day, 7 days a week, 364.91667 days a year.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
What?! DDR prices went up?? where can i see by how much my Corsair Vengeance LPX 4000MHz 2x8gb kit sold for before this? I mean i thought I remember when there were huge hard drive shortages and stock was low for months, but never price spikes... now we got DDR prices rising?

Sorry if I sound out of the loop, last time i bought RAM for a PC build was in 2006 (DDR2-800 lol).

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I can't imagine that the colliding platform launches will help with supplier inventory levels either as users scramble to build new rigs.
I fear that they may stay at this higher price-point for the better half of this year.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've been following the pricing on a set of Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB kit (2x 16GB) 3000MHz in The Netherlands:
(Dutch, so "Gemiddelde" = "Average")

It is expected to keep going up another 20-30% over all of 2017, and would only drop back in 2018. It's that I didn't want to sit on memory for half a year or I would have bought these in September.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I just ordered my Samsung 960 Evo 1TB for the new 270 build. Doesn't seem to be a shortage here in Australia.
I think its the 250gb one that is all sold out here in the US, the 128 and 500 are still in stock i think. :(

I mean, at least I'm still waiting for my mobo the ROG STRIX z270i... So I don't really need that 960evo just m.2 boot drive just yet XD
did they mess up the pricing, or is that $259 USD supposed to be Canadian dollars? I coulda swore the foreign sites in russia and india and thailand listed it nearer to $180 USD

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm pretty sure they messed up, because it's 259.99 Canadian which works out to about 198 USD which seems much more in line with what I'd expect for this board.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah same. Pre-ordered last week, but no signs of stock actually being in.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Someone just posted a quick look/preview of the ASUS Z270i STRIX
Idk how they got it early but it must be a review site of sorts. :)All I remember was back when they posted the review of the MSI Z270i I asked them to review the ASUS Z270i STRIX, so glad they did! :D

Nice to see it has the front panel pin extension cable, two of each type of sata cable, straight and right angle. he even demonstrated the double-decker heatsink for the top M.2 (which even includes a thermal pad! :D

EDIT: A foreign (idk what language sorry) review of the motherboard is up! http://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/z...i-gaming-nejmensi-deska-pro-kaby-lake?start=2

Last edited: