Discussion Making an ultra SFF computer with Framework parts?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've been reminded of the Framework modular laptop and they're still shipping pre-orders. Something I found interesting is that they're opening a marketplace that will sell replacement parts including mainboards. https://frame.work/marketplace/mainboards

It supports PCIe 4.0 storage and dual DIMMS. They are slimmer than even Thin mini ITX. It can also fit in a mech keyboard. Anyone here willing to make an extra slim desktop with one? :D

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I've been reminded of the Framework modular laptop and they're still shipping pre-orders. Something I found interesting is that they're opening a marketplace that will sell replacement parts including mainboards. https://frame.work/marketplace/mainboards

It supports PCIe 4.0 storage and dual DIMMS. They are slimmer than even Thin mini ITX. It can also fit in a mech keyboard. Anyone here willing to make an extra slim desktop with one? :D

although I like the Framework Laptop (especially the idea behind it) very much, I'm a bit disappointed that they did not include a Thunderbolt port - else this would have been an ideal laptop for me...

for a DIY project - unless you need it to be very slim and need the compatibility adding a battery down the road, I would probably go for an NUC11TNKv5 or GB-BSi7-1165G7 instead. A second hand ultrabook motherboard (e.g. XPS13) would be my second choice. They often sell pretty cheap on eBay, Aliexpress & Co.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC Ricers

dealda

Trash Compacter
Oct 20, 2018
It seems that Thunderbolt actually works

But If you don't want to change your ports or are in need for a battery powered build, I would go with an Intel nuc as the basis.
They are a bit cheaper and have are easier to sell on the secondary market.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
It seems that Thunderbolt actually works

Wow, that's great, thanks for sharing!

Guess I should have read the knowledgebase more carefully...

Seems it's just a matter of final certification for them to advertise TB support more obvious.

Reactions: Phuncz

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
If Mini-ITX is too big, there are other form factors more suitable for USFF, rather than using parts specifically designed for portability & battery power.
The difficulty will be in finding stock, and more than likely, the high pricing of industrial equipment.

This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but I've included some examples that I've found with some googling.

Mini STX / 5x5(147 x 140 mm)
e.g. ASRock Industrial STX-1500

3.5" SBC (147 x 102 mm)
e.g. iBase IB953, MSI MS-98M3, Aaeon GENE-TGU6, Commell LE-37O, Commell LE-37P, Kontron 3.5"-SBC-TGL, Advantech MIO-5375, Jetway MF05

NUC / 4x4 (102 x 102 mm)
e.g. ASRock Industrial NUC-1185G7E, ASRock Industrial 4X4-4800U (104 x 102)

2.5" / PicoITX (100 x 72 mm)
eg. AAEON PICO-TGU4, Advantech MIO-2375, Commell LP-179,

1.8" SBCs
(can't find any that will support Tiger Lake UP3 or similar)

COM Express / COM-HPC - Come in different types and sizes, carrier board or mezzanine boardsfor IO/connectivity
Portwell PCOM-B656VGL (Type4 Compact),
AdLink Express-TL (Type6 Basic), Kontron COMe-bTL6(E2) (Type6 Basic), TQ TQMx110EB (Type6 Basic), Congatec Conga-TS570 (Type6 Basic),
AdLink cExpress-TL (Type6 Compact), Congatec Conga-TS560r (Type6 Compact), Kontron COMe-cTL6 (Type6 Compact),
Advantech SOM-7583 (Type10 Mini),
Congatec Conga-HPC/cTLU (COM-HPC size A)
Congatec Conga-HPC/cTLH (COM-HPC size B),

Other / unclear form-factor
Aaeon UP Xtreme i11 (120.35 x 122.5 mm)

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Wow, that's fantastic. Hopefully the other brands get onboard because Frame.WORK are doing an awesome job at sticking with their mission and improvements as they go. Love it.