Made an AM4 bracket for Scythe Big Shuriken 2

manypopes

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Aug 15, 2020
Been running with a Fractal Design Node202 case and Scythe Big Shuriken 2 cooler for some years now, it's pretty much the biggest that will fit, and only just!

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600, but was annoyed to find that my Scythe Big Shuriken 2 cooler wasn't AM4 compatible (I've seen a lot of rumours of upgrade kits existing, but couldn't find any for sale and got no response back from Scythe). Tried a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 which worked somewhat but just couldn't keep up under stress, I think it's TDP is something like half of the Shuriken's. So, I decided to take things into my own hands and make custom brackets for the Scythe.

Originally made a prototype with hands tools (not showing pics of that haha) which did the job great, but decided I ought to do it properly and get them laser cut. So here they are, the top bracket shown on left which sits on top of the Shuriken's base, and the baseplate which I've coated with Kapton to insulate.

Here it is installed, nice and simple :). Just have to take care not to over-tighten.

Love this case and very happy that I didn't have to change it.

Been using them for about 2 months now without issues, can finally play Warzone again and stay below 75C.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Very nice. I am still using a BS2 in my Ghost to cool my 8700k, great cooler.