M.2 SSD cooling?

JournaL

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
I find it ridiculous that if I spend good money on a nice quality product like a Samsung Pro 960 m2 PCIE NVMe it doesn't come with a heatsink.

I hope other m2 manufacturers to follow Plextor's design with a thin heatsink, instead of a copper lined "warranty will be voided if removed" sticker.

Reactions: br3nd0

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Samsung has a thin layer of copper built into the rear sticker label to help dissipate heat (click to zoom).
To be honest, even in a cramped case with a 1080 mini, I didn't notice any difference in performance.

Reactions: Biowarejak

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Is there any space at all between the drive and the motherboard when mounted on the rear of board? I was thinking about some 1mm copper shims on a thin strip of double sided thermal tape, if it's possible.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Samsung also has to comply with the specification for M.2. Adding a heat sink over the IC's would push it beyond the maximum envelope constraints. If you do have space, you can add finned heat sinks; there are even some specifically designed for M.2 drives, like Aquacomputer's:

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Samsung also has to comply with the specification for M.2. Adding a heat sink over the IC's would push it beyond the maximum envelope constraints. If you do have space, you can add finned heat sinks; there are even some specifically designed for M.2 drives, like Aquacomputer's:

Nice 1. That 9mm height though would probably be pushing it if not exceeding if sitting underneath.

Found this on eBay which might work, only 2mm height:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122486311631

malcky

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2017
That Kyro2 heatsink would defo NOT fit under the majority of motherboards as there is only 2-3mm of space below the SSD itself....unless you have a case that the motherboard tray has a big cut out like my other case, Thermaltake core V1....which is an amazing case for its ease of accessing as all side/top/bottom panels can come off....plus its cheap as anything compared to the HDPlex H1.S case I just bought.

That 2mm copper heatsink looks like it would work perfectly.

Nemix

Cable Smoosher
Sep 17, 2017
It is pretty tight to the bottom of the case. I think close enough even to simply put a thermal pad between it and the bottom plate of the case.

Have you asked on the HD Plex forum?

I'm thinking of doing this with my latest build (I thought it out before finding the suggestion here), anyone here tried this with their SATA m.2 drive?

If my calculations are right, the method above should drop the m.2 drive down by 10 degrees Celcius of not more without having to use thermal TAPE which can void warranty.

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I think case ventilation is key here too, especially for boards where the only m2 slot is on the underside. I'm talking about S4 mini and CustomMod's Slim as examples. Kudos to them, and also to Asus and AsRock for placing some of their m2 slots on top of the boards.