Low-profile cable (and liquid) routing plane

EdZ

Virtual Realist
Original poster
May 11, 2015
While the case is not SFF, the idea seems like it would be well suited for SFF. Laying cables into a routed channel is certainly going to be easier than traditional cable-lacing, and doing so without sleeving will cut down the Z-height even further. The inclusion of liquid routing may be less useful due to the need for custom gaskets.

::EDIT:: Forgot to add the source: /u/p0pe's custom build for Gigabyte's Computex booth.

Last edited:

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
JR23 did a SFF build with a similar custom loop using an Asrock X99e-itx/ac and R9 Fury:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The amount of labor and planning that went into that effort are mind-blowing, @EdZ. It elevates the final package to an almost purely artistic level, as the resultant performance benefit is likely not commensurate with the effort and expense that went into it. Damn.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have no words to explain how awesome this is. Everything seems so immensely carefully done. I couldn't do this if it would be my life's work.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Using Dickie V's BDI (Bald Dome Index) this is approx 310 x 310 x 63.5 = 6.1L Sandwich
Reminds me of the super tall contortionist that stuffs herself in a very tiny box. o_O

Mal
The Bitspower Leviathans are 312mm and it's a hair taller as well but it probably still comes in under seven litres!

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
X99, R9 Fury, SFX PSU, DDC Pump, Dual 140 Radiator/Fans and a 240GB M.2 drive all < 7L and all completely WC including memory, VRMs, chipset and M.2 Awesome!

Mal

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
For a long time I've wanted to use a Pico-PSU on the 24 pin connector, but power it with an internal ATX PSU. This would allow the removal of about 20 wires from the PSU, making cable routing a snap. You could even get by with nothing but a single, giant +12v wire and ground plane return back to the PSU. One wire PSU! It works that way in cars...

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I had a very similar idea - something I hope to pursue for my next project. For wiring though, I'm thinking a custom PCB integrated into the flowplate/motherboard tray would be a very interesting idea, that way you had standard connectors right next to your PSU of choice (SFX, HDPlex, etc.), then the PCB takes it and just extends the different "cables" around the case. That way you can drastically cut down on wire length, improve airflow, and maintain something that is universal. Although it would still require custom cables, it is much easier than sleeving each individual cable to the right exact length.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
Original poster
May 11, 2015
Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I had a very similar idea - something I hope to pursue for my next project. For wiring though, I'm thinking a custom PCB integrated into the flowplate/motherboard tray would be a very interesting idea, that way you had standard connectors right next to your PSU of choice (SFX, HDPlex, etc.), then the PCB takes it and just extends the different "cables" around the case. That way you can drastically cut down on wire length, improve airflow, and maintain something that is universal. Although it would still require custom cables, it is much easier than sleeving each individual cable to the right exact length.
You could contact @guryhwa. He's made at least one case using PCBs to distribute power (with those same PCBs also used to support components, very elegant).

Reactions: Biowarejak