Lord of the Rings themed HTPC

LucasTheRed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016

For a while now I've wanted to design a computer case, and, since I now have a TV and place for an HTPC, I decided to build one! The goals are to put an HD Plex 160 internal power supply, itx mobo, with dual slot support.

Parts list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pnMW6X

Not putting a graphics card in yet, and I have a home server, so I don't need a lot of storage. The plan is to mount the motherboard upside down, so I can have a solid top panel, and I'm not planning on putting front panel USB in either. I do have some questions though: where is the best place to source Vandal switches from? Is it safe to mount a mobo upside down?

Also, Chris Howell's Diesel, and NFC's S4 mini provided a lot of inspiration and help with internal organization, and Aiboh's PSU sized build log have helped a ton, too.

The top of the case is to be ebonized oak or black walnut, with cutouts for the tree and stars. The cutouts are to be filled with resin and backlit with LEDs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricochet and Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes you want momentary, a latching switch would be the same as pressing and holding the power button.

Pay attention to the diameter, some places advertise the bezel diameter and others the cutout (how big a hole to make in the sheet for the switch to fit into.

LucasTheRed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
Yes you want momentary, a latching switch would be the same as pressing and holding the power button.

Pay attention to the diameter, some places advertise the bezel diameter and others the cutout (how big a hole to make in the sheet for the switch to fit into.

Any idea where the Dr. Zaber's got their switch? The black with a white led looks perfect.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, I'm not sure. Looks like some kind of conflict between imgur and the embed method here.

You can try posting them individually using the BBCODE link.

Reactions: TheHig

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
How about an Eye of Sauron power button. They make them for cufflinks and necklaces. Pop one out put an LED behind it and affix it to the power button. Poke Sauron in the eye every time you power up and then watch it glow.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
At least on my HP Hamar motherboard, a latching switch works just fine. I was worried at first that it wouldn't, but it did. Only thing is you have to flip it twice to turn off. Though I'm not sure if it causes any sort of bios reset to turn it on and leave it latched in the first place.

LucasTheRed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
Ok, in my rear panel design attempt, I am struggling to find dimensions for the retaining bracket for the PCIe slot, as well as how far it should be from the slot itself. Any ideas on where to find that information?

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Slot spacing is 20.32 mm, and the tabs on the insert are 10.18 mm wide. Hope that helps. Should be a datasheet somewhere, I got those numbers from another thread on this forum.

LucasTheRed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
What is the thinnest you can make a case? I'd like to do something like 50mm internally, but I can't seem to pull it off, unless I'm doing my math wrong.

LucasTheRed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
Update: ordered hardware including feet, fan filters, and power switch. I got RAM from amazon - the $40 8gb Avexir kit that was available for a short time should be shipping in 0-3 weeks now. HDPLEX 160 internal supply should be here Wednesday. I have a few more hardware store trips to get all of the fasteners I need, but I got the fastener to hold the motherboard standoffs to the ceiling of the case out of the way - I think. I missed out on Fry's 4620 sale, but the Kaby Lake Pentium's have been selling like hot cakes so that's not a surprise.

I have a couple of things to adjust on my sheet metal designs, but they are almost complete. If anyone has any ideas on completing folds in Inventor, I'd gladly listen.

The basic woodworking for the top has to wait until I can get access to my dad's wood shop - probably not until the second week of April at the earliest. Hopefully I'll have the files sorted for laser cutting the Tree out and the resin ready to go by then.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Sounds good! Hope this all comes together quite nicely.

I use Inventor frequently but have never used the sheet metal side of things. Sorry!

Reactions: LucasTheRed