Enclosure Looking for a (maybe unicorn) SFF case

DaoJones

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
I'm looking for a SFF case with some fairly specific criteria; I've looked through the SFF case list on r/sffpc and the SFF manufacturers I could find through a google search and couldn't find it, so I'm hoping someone here can make a good recommendation.

Ideally, I'd like the smallest case possible with:
  • Horizontal mobo layout
  • 320mm (12.5in) GPU support
  • No use of GPU riser
  • ATX (modular) PSU support
I love my old Thermaltake V1, but it's too short to support the newer high-end GPUs. And while I've recently purchased a Sugo-14 the layout and airflow is really janky, and it kinda bugs me. Every other case I've found online falls short in either the GPU or PSU category, or they're so large they aren't really "small form factor".

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Hi DaoJones,

Out of curiosity is there a reason you aren't considering an SFX/SFX-L PSU as an option? As it would open up many more options in the SFF case choices for you.

The ones that comes to mind offhand are the Sliger Cerberus (which will limit your CPU cooler options), and the Cooler Master NR200 (currently you'll need to 3D print the ATX mounting bracket as stated by CM here)

DaoJones

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Hi DaoJones,

Out of curiosity is there a reason you aren't considering an SFX/SFX-L PSU as an option? As it would open up many more options in the SFF case choices for you.
Thanks for the reply!

Three reasons for an ATX PSU:
  1. Cost. More SFX PSUs seem to come in around ~$270+ for 750W+ Gold+ quality.
  2. Availability: I happen to already have a Fractal Design Ion+ 860w and a Corsair RM850x PSU; both are excellent quality, low noise PSUs that cost me ~$150.
  3. Noise. Noise is a huge concern for me, and I build my PCs to be as silent as possible. Most of the reviews I've read for SFX PSUs don't really speak to their ability be quiet (or if they are, they're $300+)
I'm sure all three of those reasons can be countered, and I'll allow that I may have just not looked around hard enough for options. But if I don't have to drop an extra $100 on a PSU I'd rather not (especially since I may have to spend ~$150+ on the case).

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Just wondering, why does the motherboard have to be horizontal?

That just makes it really hard to select a decent case, all of them are pretty bad airflow wise. And they have massive footprints for their size as well...

Anyway, there's the CM Elite 130 and Silverstone SG11, but they're just kind of bad cases compared to the vertical options.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
I'm looking for a SFF case with some fairly specific criteria; I've looked through the SFF case list on r/sffpc and the SFF manufacturers I could find through a google search and couldn't find it, so I'm hoping someone here can make a good recommendation.

Ideally, I'd like the smallest case possible with:
  • Horizontal mobo layout
  • No use of GPU riser
I love my old Thermaltake V1, but it's too short to support the newer high-end GPUs. And while I've recently purchased a Sugo-14 the layout and airflow is really janky, and it kinda bugs me. Every other case I've found online falls short in either the GPU or PSU category, or they're so large they aren't really "small form factor".
Check SFF master list, you can create a filter by layout=Classic and PSU=ATX. I think it will be easier to find one which supports ATX PSU than one with horizontal motherboard orientation. Though I wouldn't use an ATX PSU in a <15L case as it would severely reduce the space available for cable management and airflow.

Thanks for the reply!

2. Availability: I happen to already have a Fractal Design Ion+ 860w and a Corsair RM850x PSU; both are excellent quality, low noise PSUs that cost me ~$150.
  3. Noise. Noise is a huge concern for me, and I build my PCs to be as silent as possible. Most of the reviews I've read for SFX PSUs don't really speak to their ability be quiet (or if they are, they're $300+)
I'm sure all three of those reasons can be countered, and I'll allow that I may have just not looked around hard enough for options. But if I don't have to drop an extra $100 on a PSU I'd rather not (especially since I may have to spend ~$150+ on the case).
I have SF750 and can say that your points 1 and 3 aren't true. It's quiet, has 0 RPM mode, costs £139 which is a bit more than I paid for RM750x but 80+ Platinum efficiency and greater compatibility with SFF cases are totally worth the price.

Last edited:

DaoJones

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Just wondering, why does the motherboard have to be horizontal?

That just makes it really hard to select a decent case, all of them are pretty bad airflow wise. And they have massive footprints for their size as well...
Personal preference. And the width is not really a concern for me; I'm more interested in overall volume. The Sugo 14 I have does all of this - it's just large (19.5L), and the layout makes airflow a little twiggy.

I mean, I'd certainly grab a good case if it had everything else I wanted except the horizontal layout. Like I said - I'm curious if what I'm looking for is even out there. If it's not, then I start cutting out requirements until I find something I like. The horizontal thing would be the first thing to go, actually. :)

Check SFF master list, you can create a filter by layout=Classic and PSU=ATX. I think it will be easier to find one which supports ATX PSU than one with horizontal motherboard orientation. Though I wouldn't use an ATX PSU in a <15L case as it would severely reduce the space available for cable management and airflow.

I did that; nothing popped up that wasn't larger than ~18L. I also had a look through the concept cases people posted on this forum; nothing in production that seemed to fit.
I have SF750 and can say that your points 1 and 3 aren't true. It's quiet, has 0 RPM mode, costs £139 which is a bit more than I paid for RM750x but 80+ Platinum efficiency and greater compatibility with SFF cases are totally worth the price.
That's good feedback; I read several reviews, and tomshardware was pretty glowing about it, but it was definitely significantly louder than my two current PSUs. (Both of them are tested around ~15-20db at 550W; the SF750 comes in closer to ~30-35db in that range. Newegg has them for ~$180 right now, which isn't too bad.)

I'm planning to use either a 3080 or 6900XT GPU, so I'm expecting my power requirement to be in the ~500-550 range. I like to ensure my PSUs don't work for a living, so I buy with plenty in clearance in mind. To that end, I was looking for an 850W PSU, rather than 750W, even if it does end up being more than enough either way.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
  • Horizontal mobo layout
  • No use of GPU riser
Mechanic Master C28 meets all 4 of the above features.
The case is designed to either sit upright or lay down on the right side. This gives you the possibility of a horizontal mobo position.
It takes 335mm max display card. No GPU riser cable.
ATX PSU support (double check yours as not every single ATX PSU is supported. There is certain limitation).
The handle can be disassembled, if you like.
The 4 feet can be relocated to the support bottom panel.
Make sure you order the 'Air' edition. Case ventilation looks pretty good.
('Standard' edition is the one with the solid front panel.)
Volume is 17.9 litres.

Product page

Video intro

Last edited:

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Personal preference. And the width is not really a concern for me; I'm more interested in overall volume. The Sugo 14 I have does all of this - it's just large (19.5L), and the layout makes airflow a little twiggy.

I mean, I'd certainly grab a good case if it had everything else I wanted except the horizontal layout. Like I said - I'm curious if what I'm looking for is even out there. If it's not, then I start cutting out requirements until I find something I like. The horizontal thing would be the first thing to go, actually. :)

I did that; nothing popped up that wasn't larger than ~18L. I also had a look through the concept cases people posted on this forum; nothing in production that seemed to fit.

That's good feedback; I read several reviews, and tomshardware was pretty glowing about it, but it was definitely significantly louder than my two current PSUs. (Both of them are tested around ~15-20db at 550W; the SF750 comes in closer to ~30-35db in that range. Newegg has them for ~$180 right now, which isn't too bad.)

I'm planning to use either a 3080 or 6900XT GPU, so I'm expecting my power requirement to be in the ~500-550 range. I like to ensure my PSUs don't work for a living, so I buy with plenty in clearance in mind. To that end, I was looking for an 850W PSU, rather than 750W, even if it does end up being more than enough either way.
15 dba? I heavily doubt that. 35 dba is a standard living room, at night.
You should look for a comparison with the same equipment, aka performed by the same person/website.

DaoJones

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Mechanic Master C28 meets all 4 of the above features.
Thanks! I have absolutely no idea how to buy something through taobao, so I had been skipping those options. I'll give that one a look.

15 dba? I heavily doubt that. 35 dba is a standard living room, at night.
You should look for a comparison with the same equipment, aka performed by the same person/website.
I did - I referenced Tom's Hardware for all three PSUs:
Of course, 30-35db isn't exactly "loud" by any measure, but the difference is definitely noticeable. I tend to build for performance, silence, and size (in that order), so anywhere I can reduce noise I do so. My current gaming PC (which is in the Thermaltake V1 case) has a 2080FE, and even at heavy gaming loads never gets louder than a quiet white noise generator. (I.e. - nothing ever "spins up".)

D

Deleted member 23607

Thanks for the reply!

1. Those are scalper prices.
2. See 1.
3. (I concede)

Seems like NR200 kinda fits the bill. You'd just have to lay it sideways.

Reactions: DaoJones

DaoJones

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Seems like NR200 kinda fits the bill. You'd just have to lay it sideways.
In fact, I placed an order for a white NR200P earlier today! :) (Based on the excellent feedback from this forum, as well as a lot of research on whether or not I can make it work with an ATX PSU. The answer appears to be "maybe"; there are a few Etsy shops that will 3D print an ATX bracket for me, and it looks like Coolermaster will have their own ATX bracket available some time in 2021.)

Once it shows up I'll test fit my Ion+, since it's a bit smaller than a standard ATX PSU. Since I don't have anything going into the case other than a GPU, mobo, PSU, and enough fans to ensure good cooling, I'm hopeful I can make the bigger PSU fit.

I'm a little concerned about airflow; I'm spoiled by how much venting the V1 provides. Hopefully I can figure out a good solution here as well.

Thanks much to everyone who provided ideas and challenged my assumptions! This will only be my second SFF build, so I wanted to do it right this time.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
NR200 is definitely a very good choice regarding cooling capabilities in SFF. I wonder which, if any, influence using an ATX psu has on compatibility with different coolers and fans.
I was close to ordering one too. Wanted to mod it to fit a D15s. I just found it a little too big for my needs.

Also airflow would have been better with C14s and mesh panel. I guess temperatures, too.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
In fact, I placed an order for a white NR200P earlier today! :) (Based on the excellent feedback from this forum, as well as a lot of research on whether or not I can make it work with an ATX PSU. The answer appears to be "maybe"; there are a few Etsy shops that will 3D print an ATX bracket for me, and it looks like Coolermaster will have their own ATX bracket available some time in 2021.)

Once it shows up I'll test fit my Ion+, since it's a bit smaller than a standard ATX PSU. Since I don't have anything going into the case other than a GPU, mobo, PSU, and enough fans to ensure good cooling, I'm hopeful I can make the bigger PSU fit.

I'm a little concerned about airflow; I'm spoiled by how much venting the V1 provides. Hopefully I can figure out a good solution here as well.

Thanks much to everyone who provided ideas and challenged my assumptions! This will only be my second SFF build, so I wanted to do it right this time.

1. The ATX PSU is up for download on the NR200 product page, you can download the file there and bring to any local 3D print shop to have it printed, no need for Etsy or any special service
  2. The ion PSU should fit just fine, there's plenty of space at the front of the case to mount the ATX PSU AND long GPU at position 1
  3. Depending on how thick your GPU is, you could fit 2 slim or full-size 120mm fans at the bottom. Up to 2x 92mm fans at the back depending on if your GPU has a thick backplate and 1 full size 120mm fan at the top. There will be plenty of airflow don't you worry!
Enjoy your NR200!

DaoJones

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
The ATX PSU is up for download on the NR200 product page, you can download the file there and bring to any local 3D print shop to have it printed, no need for Etsy or any special service
Definitely an option; however, I was looking at this Etsy option, and I appreciate that seems to allow high/low and sideways mounting in one bracket. I'll see if there are 3D print shops local to Portland (I'm sure there are) I can consider as well.

Depending on how thick your GPU is, you could fit 2 slim or full-size 120mm fans at the bottom. Up to 2x 92mm fans at the back depending on if your GPU has a thick backplate and 1 full size 120mm fan at the top. There will be plenty of airflow don't you worry!
Yeah, the GPU is the next variable. I have a 2080FE now, and (in theory) a 6900XT on order. I'm just assuming whatever GPU I eventually get is going to be ~12in long and ~2.5 slots wide, so I want to plan accordingly.

Also airflow would have been better with C14s and mesh panel. I guess temperatures, too.
I'm considering either a C14s, or something like a U9s, which I use in my current system and has always been reliable. I have a 5600x, so TDP is low; I don't expect I'll need a really beefy cooler even if I dabble a little in OC.

Reactions: thelaughingman

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Definitely an option; however, I was looking at this Etsy option, and I appreciate that seems to allow high/low and sideways mounting in one bracket. I'll see if there are 3D print shops local to Portland (I'm sure there are) I can consider as well.

Yeah, the GPU is the next variable. I have a 2080FE now, and (in theory) a 6900XT on order. I'm just assuming whatever GPU I eventually get is going to be ~12in long and ~2.5 slots wide, so I want to plan accordingly.

I'm considering either a C14s, or something like a U9s, which I use in my current system and has always been reliable. I have a 5600x, so TDP is low; I don't expect I'll need a really beefy cooler even if I dabble a little in OC.
I have a 5600x in the NCASE M1, and Both my C14S (with only an NF-A12) or my ASETEK 645LT keep it plenty cool. Though I do not overclock it.

Reactions: DaoJones
D

Deleted member 23607

Nice! I'd love to see your finished build.

Ions are beautiful PSUs.