Looking for a 4k blu-ray slot load slim drive for the ncase

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
Hi all,

i've been searching for a 4k blu-ray supporting slot load slim drive for the ncase. Can somebody please provide me with some suggestions? I've not had any luck at all in my searching. Finding a drive that supports 4k discs is a difficult task...

Thanks!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
There are only a handful of slim slot-load blu-ray drives, and I don't know if any of them support playing 4k discs. You're better off with a standalone blu-ray player anyway, IMO, as PC drives tend to be loud.

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
If that's the case, do you have a recommendation for a stand-alone? 2 years ago i did tons of research and landed on one that claimed 4k support, but when i went to play a 4k disc it didnt end up supporting it.

Looking for some solid recommendations. Thanks!

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
Also, if i dont fit a dvd drive in there, can i fit a 2.5" hdd in there instead? and what is the max clearance? like would a double stack 4tb fit? And would i need a custom bracket if so?

I dont plan on utilizing the space inside the case as i'm putting a asus rog strix 2080ti in there, and from my understanding this eliminates my ability to use the hdd bracket on that end of things.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Also, if i dont fit a dvd drive in there, can i fit a 2.5" hdd in there instead? and what is the max clearance? like would a double stack 4tb fit? And would i need a custom bracket if so?

I dont plan on utilizing the space inside the case as i'm putting a asus rog strix 2080ti in there, and from my understanding this eliminates my ability to use the hdd bracket on that end of things.
There's enough room for one 15mm thick drive or two 7mm thick drives behind the front panel. Both options utilize mounting holes on the optical drive bracket (+stacking brackets for two drives). There's also a 2.5" drive mount on the inside-front of the chassis, which can support a single 2.5" drive, two 2.5" drives (using the stacking brackets), or up to three 2.5" drives (using the HDD brackets). See the manual which illustrates all these options.

M477Y

What's an ITX?
New User
May 30, 2020
I think this thread came to the right conclusion in the end, but here's what I found on the subject, thought it might help if anyone else is searching for the same question.

From what I've found through various searches suggests that it's not only the disc drive itself that allows you to play 4K UHD content, but the ability of your CPU to decode the DRM on 4K UHD discs.

Here some links to system requirements:

The common factor is the requirement for Intel SGX so if you're Team Red you seem to be out of luck. (Regular FHD Blu Ray should be fine though)

A couple of links to discussions on the topic:

Looking for a Blu Ray drive specifically for the NCase (slot-loading) I didn't come across any that specifically mentioned UHD and most were discontinued though still available on sites such as ebay. Here's a list of Slot load Blu-Ray drives that I've come across:

LG
CA40N (Read Only)(Discontinued)
CA30P (Read Only)(Discontinued)
CA10N (Read Only)(Discontinued)

TEAC
BD-C16SS-A90 (Read Only)(Discontinued)
BD-W26SS-B (BD-R TL/QL)

Panasonic
UJ167 (Read Only)(Discontinued)
UJ235 (Discontinued)
UJ265 (BD-R TL/QL)(Discontinued)
UJ267 (BD-R TL/QL)(Discontinued)

Sony
BC-5600S (Read Only)(Discontinued)
BD-5640H (Discontinued)
BD-5841H (Discontinued)
BD-5850H (Discontinued)

Streacom
OB1 (Read Only)(Discontinued)
OB2 (Read Only)(Discontinued)
OB3 (Discontinued)

I was wondering if drives that were capable of reading BDXL (BD-R TL/QL) would be able to read 4K UHD, (assuming the rest of your hardware was compatible) but it seems that's not the case from what I read here, But that doesn't do much explaining, so I haven't ruled it out completely.

It seems that at least for now the NCase is limited to FHD internal Blu Ray disc drives by the hardware available. And the only way to play 4K UHD content is to download, or rip and then use software.

I did all this searching as research for my first build so I am by no means an expert in the subject so If anyone can offer further insights that'd be appreciated.

TL;DR:
There are no internal UHD 4K capable slot loading drives on the market (That I've come across) and if there was you would need to be running an intel system <7th Gen CPU on a MOBO with support for Intel SGX in order for it to work.

Reactions: SenseiMela

thedriver

Case Bender
New User
Apr 14, 2020
If you're willing, you could probably use the external Pioneer BDR-XS07TUHD or BDR-XS07BUHD and pull it apart. They're very likely a SATA drive inside that you could use - hopefully you can just pull off the USB to SATA bridge.

Reactions: MelonGx

MelonGx

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2019
If you're willing, you could probably use the external Pioneer BDR-XS07TUHD or BDR-XS07BUHD and pull it apart. They're very likely a SATA drive inside that you could use - hopefully you can just pull off the USB to SATA bridge.
I have 2 BDR-XS07B-UHDs.
But I haven't pulled it apart because I haven't found any front panel suitable for it.