Asus ROG Strix Z370i
Noctua NH-L12S
Corsair Vengence LPX 32gb
MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP
HDPlex 160w DC-ATX
Dell 330w AC adapter
WD Blue m.2 1TB drive
GPU fan swapped with:
2x Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PC-P 80mm x 15mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan - 2500 RPM

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Update with fan setup, thermals, and power:
CPU fan in set to exhaust.

The two bottom fans are set to intake, and powered by the motherboard CHASSIS fan header. Fan curves tweaked in ASUS AI Suite. The build is relatively quiet.
Air intake from case bottom, and passive intake from case top, seem to be feed the NH-L12S well.

Ambient temperature about 21c:
  • Rendering for 10 minutes, similar temps as synthetic torture tests, CPU 73c.
  • Rendering for 30 minutes, or until headsoaked - TBD
  • Gaming at 1440p:
    • CPU 55-60c
    • GPU 65-70c
My next test is to run the system full load, on both the CPU and GPU, for 30+ minutes.

In terms of power supply, I’ve tried to set Prime95 on max power consumption torture preset, while running Heaven in Extreme preset, and the system ran OK for up to 20 minutes when I stopped the test.

Reactions: Biowarejak

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
Update with fan setup, thermals, and power:
CPU fan in set to exhaust.

The two bottom fans are set to intake, and powered by the motherboard CHASSIS fan header. Fan curves tweaked in ASUS AI Suite. The build is relatively quiet.
Air intake from case bottom, and passive intake from case top, seem to be feed the NH-L12S well.

Ambient temperature about 21c:
  • Rendering for 10 minutes, similar temps as synthetic torture tests, CPU 73c.
  • Rendering for 30 minutes, or until headsoaked - TBD
  • Gaming at 1440p:
    • CPU 55-60c
    • GPU 65-70c
My next test is to run the system full load, on both the CPU and GPU, for 30+ minutes.

In terms of power supply, I’ve tried to set Prime95 on max power consumption torture preset, while running Heaven in Extreme preset, and the system ran OK for up to 20 minutes when I stopped the test.
where can I buy this case? thanks

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
where can I buy this case? thanks

I’m not sure how you can buy this case now. The version 4 was sold out last year (I think?), I haven’t heard from Lone Industries if they’re making another revision.
I missed out on L4, but able to buy it used from someone else here.

Reactions: Biowarejak

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
Do you run the system with the case on its side? the fans would struggle for air if placed in the usual orientation, right?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Do you run the system with the case on its side? the fans would struggle for air if placed in the usual orientation, right?
I use this system upright. The rubber feet are about 10mm tall, which feeds works well (enough) for feeding air to the 1050ti. Works ok. I’ve seen others flip the case upside down so that the gpu is up top. That would work too.

Reactions: fleetfeather

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Hello, @Nanook.

I'm not being able to see the pictures of your build, would you mind re-uploading them, please? (Only If It won't bother you at all.)

Thank you for your attention.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Hello, @Nanook.

I'm not being able to see the pictures of your build, would you mind re-uploading them, please? (Only If It won't bother you at all.)

Thank you for your attention.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.
No worries! From my end, I can see the individual images when I open them in Imgur on my phone app, but not the images from the album on phone app. Nothing works for me right now on my pc browser. I'll try to link images at home tonight

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
No worries! From my end, I can see the individual images when I open them in Imgur on my phone app, but not the images from the album on phone app. Nothing works for me right now on my pc browser. I'll try to link images at home tonight
Thank you!

(I tried the same and had no success in both situations.)

Have a nice time. :)

EDIT: I found a way to see the pictures.

1. Correct the imgur link: imgur]a/x1yz4Xc to imgur.com/a/x1yz4Xc.
  2. Open the link.
  3. Click to open the image in another tab.
  4. Done.

Last edited:

jaagdijot

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2018
Build looks great!

I’m surprised the HDPlex can power this. I thought the max it could do is around 200W peak? Or is it only possible if you don’t max out the CPU/GPU simultaneously?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Build looks great!

I’m surprised the HDPlex can power this. I thought the max it could do is around 200W peak? Or is it only possible if you don’t max out the CPU/GPU simultaneously?
Thanks! The power draw of the 8700k and 1050ti peaks at 160W max. Yes the HDPlex is able to supply 200W. I seldom use both cpu and gpu at 100% at the same time.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Thanks for the clarification! :)
I just double checked. With MCE + full boost, the 8700K might draw up to 130W occasionally. The 1050ti can also turbo up, but stays within limitation of the PCI-E connector ~70W. So technicall still within capability of the HDPlex.