Enclosure Logic Supply MC600 Questions/Advice

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
Hey @Runamok81 and @jottwehh, how long are your PCI-e riser cables? Would you recommend the same cable/length?

I think it was jottwehh who ended up using a cable off of ebay?

dude, I'm sorry! I just didn't saw your question there.... :(
Maybe it's not too late and I can still help. @Runamok81 maybe this is interesting for you too, cause I took some pictures of the way I mounted my GPU.

(a little bit dusty in there, I should have cleaned it before.... :oops: )

So, the riser question. Here you can see the HD-PLEX riser. It is 15cm long and would fit, cause its so thin and flexible.
But like I said before unfortanatly 2/2 HDPLEX riser won't work in my setup... dont know why....
I've several cheap ebay riser shielded with aluminum duct tape + insulation tape. the 24cm one is the shortest one I could fit inside.
I can add pictueres of that too, if you want.
But in general I would recommand going for the HDPLEX riser. It so much cleaner and easier to install.

The way i mounted the gpu:
as you can see, the PCB has some preinstalled holes. I just used the mounting plate of the MC600, drilled some holes in it and used these PCB standoffs.

Last edited:

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
recently i decided to upgrade my MB,CPU & RAM to the strix 270i, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 and i5-7600k, but @zovc to be honest as you came up with the Idea of an internal PSU for the MC600, I started thinking about that too... damn it.
I thought about going for the HDPLEX 160w DC-ATX, (but I'm not sure if its powerfull enough ) and tried to find a way, to fit in the 160W AC/DC. Sadly it wont fit cause of my 140mm fans.

As 160W is not that much for a 120W GPU and a 93W CPU and mybe some day I will replace my 960 GTX I thought about the new HDPLEX 300W AC DC comming this week. You also mentioned it would not fit inside that easy so you have to mod the case.
If i got you right, you want to try to replace the front plate? I think its a good way and hope you will post some pictures.
For me, i thought about building my own new case which would be pretty similar to the MC600.

(do you like my paint skills? ;) )

So basically I was thinking about a MC600 + 30 mm in an S4 mini orientation, that would be able to fit in a 195mm GPU and 300W PSU in just 4.6 l . (I would also add front panel vent holes like Josh did to his s4 mini, since the vents on the left are now closed.)

Sadly my Case designer skills aren't that good (or even existing) + I will marry in about a month, so I wont be able to realise this Idea.

@Runamok81 are you able to place a 52mm x 40mm (HDPLEX 160W AC-DC) PSU on top ot the PCI connector of the GPU?
I would, but the 140mm fan makes it doesnt fit. Since you've got 120mm id maybe fits?

Reactions: Ceros_X

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for all the pictures and feedback!

Here you can see the HD-PLEX riser. It is 15cm long and would fit, cause its so thin and flexible.

[...]

I've several cheap ebay riser shielded with aluminum duct tape + insulation tape. the 24cm one is the shortest one I could fit inside.

So, the HDPLEX riser is 15cm and fits, but the shortest ebay riser that fits is 24cm? Was that a typo or is the HDPLEX riser just that much more flexible? That's really throwing me off.

Great minds think alike! The main reason I decided to add my ~2cm to the front panel rather than the side of the case is because it seems like--if you're modding the MC600 rather than fabricating a new case--much less work needs to be done to increase the size by the front compared to the side. If you increase the 'width' like your diagrams are showing, you need to adjust your front panel, the top panel, and the rest of the case to accommodate that new space. If you're adjusting the front panel area, you're not really changing the structure of the case and it's already designed with two holes in that area. The holes are a little too small, so you need to do some work there, and you might need to end up adding more than 2cm to fit the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC in the front like I'm trying to do with that Artesyn power supply. But maybe you could put the DC-ATX near the GPU and the AC-DC near the motherboard and everything would fit fine?

Reactions: Biowarejak

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
I think HDPLEX and the Ebay Seller used 2 differnt ways of measurement.
Unless HDPLEX changed the length of the Riser says its 15cm long. the actual size of my riser is 18cm from the inner end of the plastic PCI connector to the other inner end. the connector itself is about 1cm, so the total length of my riser is 20cm. (did they changed it? i brought mine at least one year ago, so dont know. maybe @iFreilicht knows more about that? )
Anyway, the Ebay one is about 24cm in total. but, it is MUCH more unflexible so in my opinions 24cm is the minimum in length for a duct tapped riser.

The main reason I wanted to add some space next to the GPU instead of in front of it is, 'cause i dont want to give away the option of using a bigger GPU (like I did in my build) by placing the AC-DC or DC-ATX unit in front of it. But yeah, you are right. then I have to create a brand new case.
My Idea started as I saw the dimmensions of the new 300W AC-DC unit, which are pretty nice for the MC600, but as I did some fitment testing yesterday, by adding some wood with the dimmensions of the 300W I thought: "that doesnt feel right" from a design point of view.
It would fit, but looks weird too flat for its length ...
So I started testing your idea and placed both units (my actual 250W DC-ATX + wooden 300w AC-DC in the front and actually: I kind of liked that. And you are right, it would be pretty easy to add some space there.
i was thinking about differnt materials, like wood, u-profiles of aluminum + the original front plate but I ended up thinking some "frosted acrylic" would be perfect in combination with the RGB effect of the Strix 270i. PLEXIGLAS® LED White WH51 30mm would be nice?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Interesting, on the length of those risers. I appreciate you sharing that with me because I was looking at ordering one 17cm to 18cm! I'll try to get a longer one like you suggested.

Is plexiglass the same as acrylic? I imagine if you have access to CNC, they could really easily work on a part like that for you and it should come out precise. Definitely, a clear material would look great with LEDs behind it and the LEDs on the Strix Z270i are placed perfectly for lighting something like that up.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Unless HDPLEX changed the length of the Riser says its 15cm long. the actual size of my riser is 18cm from the inner end of the plastic PCI connector to the other inner end. the connector itself is about 1cm, so the total length of my riser is 20cm. (did they changed it? i brought mine at least one year ago, so dont know. maybe @iFreilicht knows more about that? )

You're correct, and they didn't change anything to my knowledge. The riser is sold as being 15cm and is oversized so you can be sure that it will be long enough if you design for that length. I did note that in my original review.

Petano

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
MC600 is very tight. I had hdplex 400 in there but the only way is to remove backplate and squeeze it in front of motherboard and graphics card (be careful about isolation - front panel will become new "backplate"). So your graphics has to be sub 170mm for sure but it may be touching hdplex so I recommend sub 160mm graphics card.
Setup with Ryzen 3 1200 and msi rx560 worked fine.
Also note you need to dril or cut some holes into case for proper cooling.

Reactions: mgilang