Image Credit – Linus Tech Tips
Linus from good old Linus Tech Tips, seen above making the same expression he makes when you ask for his autograph in the bathroom of a CES trade-show, has taken a bit more real world look at CPU coolers. We’ll at least his labs department did.
CPU cooler tests are often done in a vacuum of sorts. Testers don’t know your workload, your PC case, or your CPU. Good testing actually tries to take those variables out, and isolate the performance of the CPU cooler and cooler alone. However, there is something that gets lost in translation that makes many of those tests become arguably more akin to synthetic test like 3D Mark. They’re still very necessary...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
didn't noise normalize... ok

They said their acoustic chamber wasn’t ready. They did normalize on power, professor, fan curve, motherboard, case, and airflow though.

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
They said their acoustic chamber wasn’t ready. They did normalize on power, professor, fan curve, motherboard, case, and airflow though.

Yeah they said that, but many other channels don't have acoustic chambers but still do noise normalized tests. Imho it was lazy on their part, kind of below standard for cooler testing in 2023, as we all know noise normalizing can make a huge difference in results even with all other factors being equal (which they absolutely should be, that should be by default).

Also they could have waited a bit more until the chamber is ready, I don't think that this video was very time sensitive.

jughead0

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2021
Also they could have waited a bit more until the chamber is ready
Read a post recently by a purported ex-LMG employee where they decribe, among other things, how the company is all about meeting production volume quotas, most of the times regardless of quality. I imagine this was a relatively quick to make video.

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Read a post recently by a purported ex-LMG employee where they decribe, among other things, how the company is all about meeting production volume quotas, most of the times regardless of quality. I imagine this was a relatively quick to make video.
Yeah I saw it, although linus said so himself on one of the recent wan shows. It is a bit of a shame but it is what it is.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
didn't noise normalize... ok
Yea...although most people don't know what 'noise normalized' means, they just want to know what a 'good' CPU cooler is. Linus's target demo with that video is less GamersNexus watchers and people like my older brother....who walks into BestBuy to buy a new _________ and walks out with whatever looks good and isn't too expensive--and doesn't want to spend mental effort after work comparing bar charts and spreadsheets and comparison shopping into oblivion.

Reactions: rfarmer