Lian-Li Tu200 Ugly Gaming Build (Carry-on Traveling)

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
CASE: Lian-Li - PC-TU200B Mini ITX Tower Case
PCU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor
COOLING CPU: Corsair - H90 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (on processor)
COOLING GPU: NZXT Kraken X42 (on GPU) paired with Kraken G12
MOTHERBOARD: Asus - MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
MEMORY: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
STORAGE: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (x 2)
GPU: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (removed stock heat sink)
PSU: XFX - XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

MONITOR: Acer - Predator X34 34.0" 3440x1440 100Hz Monitor
Noctua 140mm Premium Quiet Quality Fan with AAO Frame Technology (NF-A14 PWM)

Heres the first load of parts i got over a year ago

This was an initial thought with some old parts, that I quickly realized wasn't going to work for me

partially stripped down case without any actual cutting or drilling

Tryout fit with corsair h90 onto the processor, from stock 140mm bracket with fan.

Once I tucked everything in and just used a regular cd-rom for top compartment. All this fits without having to cut grind or weld this case. It's very tight and doesn't dissipate heat well at all. the GPU exhausts the heat out the rear of the tower, but still creates quite a bit of heat. Gaming temps for the card were in the 80's sometimes 90's Celcius. It still worked well and never stopped me at any time.

A better lit view blocked by this car battery of a PSU. I wish I could find better ways to manage or shorten cables, I'm just not sure enough of my own talents to sleave my own shorter ones. This PSU has also been hard to find any alternatives for cables.

Pow! Some AIO to get the GPU to cool the eff down a little...

Found an old aluminum sign from work, so i decided to cut it into a mock idea of what i wanted to see if it would fit. Minimal pre-planning and I quickly realized that I may be shit out of luck with two 140mm fans and rads fitting vertically.
wellllllllllll.....after using all the wrong tools for the job, I created a mock up of an idea, and well...it works! (i will make a better version of this with different aluminum later).

This is prior to the fan swap, I had two different fans pulling on either side of the rad, and I'm not sure what the verdict is on that, so I paired them up better after this picture

After the fan swap. I also added some filters just for now to keep out some dust. I know its hideous, but down the road, I have room for cleanup. Its not easy to cut with a giant Disk grinder and no thin disks. Nothing is really straight, just due to lack of patience and tools. Plus I have two small children that I've been chasing around the yard :)

You can see the Kraken G12 cooler mounted to the Aero 1080 GPU at the very bottom (pretty tight)
Used some pretty tuff Velcro to mount the Two SSD's as well as the fan expansion card. I ran out of fan ports to plug into. The Kraken x42 has 3 plugs off the pump including a MINI-USB to USB. I will say that I like the CAM software for the X42+G12 over the Corsair. Its so much cleaner and easy to use. I believe the cam is monitored by the USB port.

Mobo side of the tower. Can also see small fan on G12 at the bottom of GPU

Heres a couple screenshots of Cam Software for x42.

Another broader image of the monitoring.

So far this is all I got. Any hints or tips or ideas, fire em at me, I'm just having a time with this

Reactions: confusis

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
If you want a little more room and air circulation, maybe look into an SFX power supply, would give you a lot more room to breath in there

Reactions: JamJam

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
If you want a little more room and air circulation, maybe look into an SFX power supply, would give you a lot more room to breath in there
I guess this power supply is a bit overkill, what would be recommended for what I have, where i wouldn't run into power issues. Do the SFX power supplies have shorter cables by chance?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I guess this power supply is a bit overkill, what would be recommended for what I have, where i wouldn't run into power issues. Do the SFX power supplies have shorter cables by chance?

Yes, normally, and many are modular. Cablemod makes cables for various sfx psus. So you could have them to a specific length.

Cheers.
Windfall

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
Yes, normally, and many are modular. Cablemod makes cables for various sfx psus. So you could have them to a specific length.

Cheers.
Windfall

Problem is, this tower wont fit those SFX Power Supplies...although this is a mod forum, so i may have to build a different bracket. Another problem with my current power supply is the 24 pin connector is actually 28 coming out of the psu. its hard to find a place that makes custom cables for it. https://www.moddiy.com/products/XFX-XTR-Series-750W%7B47%7D650W%7B47%7D550W-Modular-Connector-%28Full-Set-10pcs%29.html its weird 18 and 10 pin connectors

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Just get a SFX to ATX adapter bracket, they are cheap. Get a Corsair SF series, plenty of custom cables available for them.

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
It looks like your temps are under control.

Based on your system specs your load wattage is 434 Watts, 404 Watts if you keep the DVD Rom disconnected.

Have you considered HDPlex's NanoATX series? The 400W DC-ATX (peak 500W) unit and 300W (peak 400W) AC-DC unit could be good enough for you. Use heat resistant double sided sticky tape to stick them on to the sides somewhere.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
I would stick with stock until you have everything in place exactly where you want it to be and nothing will move so you can get a better idea on length and not have too long/too short cables.

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
I would stick with stock until you have everything in place exactly where you want it to be and nothing will move so you can get a better idea on length and not have too long/too short cables.

Good call, I ordered the bracket and PSU as well as some Dremel parts to make cutting panels easier. Might grab a 5 1/2 inch hole saw for the 140mm fan holes. There's a few metal shops not far from my rural town, I'm going to see if I can score some aluminum. I'm starting to see a problem with this extra room the PSU will allow. I know air flow is a good thing...but now I want to fill the void with more stuff (may be a male trait.)

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
I got 2 sets of cables for Corsair SF series from Aliexpress, price is much more reasonable but shipping does take a bit.
Yea I ordered a new screen for my alienware a ways back and it took one hell of a long time to arrive. But the price is right, thats for sure. I noticed the quality isn't top notch but neither is my workmanship :D. I ordered a couple of everything. Hopefully they show up before I die of old age. Thanks for the reminder

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yea I ordered a new screen for my alienware a ways back and it took one hell of a long time to arrive. But the price is right, thats for sure. I noticed the quality isn't top notch but neither is my workmanship :D. I ordered a couple of everything. Hopefully they show up before I die of old age. Thanks for the reminder

I am in the US and took 4 weeks to get mine. I have been using one set in my Ncase for over a year and not had any problems.

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
I am in the US and took 4 weeks to get mine. I have been using one set in my Ncase for over a year and not had any problems.
I'm in Canada, so It will probably arrive shortly after I forget I even ordered it. I just got a line on some 3mm aluminum checker plate for $15 that I can cut a new faceplate out of. Only 2 blocks away. I'm not a fan of checker plate, but it could look nice painted black in the end.

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
Picked up some checker plate.

Placed some masking tape in order to mark it easier

built a small template out of carboard

messed up and cut a "no cut" area, ah well, keep on rockin i guess...

A few test fits and grinding, back and forth for a decent fit.

Cut some holes with a dremel attachment that seems to work not half bad. cheaper than a $60 hole saw.

I had some extra fans lying around, though I'd check and see if I could fit another. Just fit. This thing is a wind tunnel now.

there's still some cleanup, and I am contemplating painting it black. I'll keep the rivets off until shes a finished product.

Not too shabby. Gonna find some U channel and cover the rugged hole cut line.

Reactions: confusis and jmarin

JamJam

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
I've Been traveling around with this for a while now and I'll Tell you one thing That has caused a lot of headache with AIO coolers, is that you will form air bubbles in the lines and your temps will hit 90 C and up. I've had two experiences with this so far. I decided to risk it all and check my baggage. I let them toss it around on an airplane a bit. both times, air bubbles. I researched a bit and found you have to tip your tower side to side to get the air to exit and stay in the rad. Its hard to do when your lines are not see through. But it worked both times, took 5 minutes then 15 minutes the second time.