Lenovo A70 SFF Ryzen Rebuild

qks57

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
Hello everyone at SFF Forums! This is my very first post, been reading a lot here, a ton of information that I can use. I'm not new to building PCs. Have built PCs since my first Pentium 4 build back in 2005. Subsequently had a Core2Duo, an i7-2600k, an i5-4570, then 2 Ryzen 5 1600 gaming builds.

When I got my place in 2017, I decided to build up a HTPC for it.

I have a very limiting TV console space due to that it's built-in(plus my error of not getting the right diemnsions). The tray dimensions are 380mm X 380mm X 155mm(Lx D xH). I wanted to have a build able to fit within these dimensions so I can stream, play basic games(Worms Revolution and the sort) and also play dvds for my kids when they want.

I also need it to fit within my budget, as mATX motherboards are so much cheaper than itx motherboards. Found the ideal chip(Ryzen 5 2400g), and ideal board(Asrock AB350M-HDV) and bought them as they were on offer. All I'm lacking is the case itself.

Why not Intel? Some of you may ask. There are pre-built PCs out there that fit the size limitation. That's true, but I've been down that path before. I had a Lenovo S510 SFF, i5-6500 with a GT730 2gb. Got it at a very good price, and later sold it on for a profit. After that, I got a Dell Optiplex 3050 SFF with an i5-7500. Worked well and fits the space but I couldn't run any basic games on either. A GT640 4gb card was in the Dell but it struggles with heat due to the size of the case.

And of course, when ryzen came along with an APU that can output some decent graphics, naturally I went for it.

Been on the hunt for a case for the longest time but wasn't able to find any that fits within my budget or size limits till I came across this case cheap off a local sale app called Carousell. Size matches perfectly and the layout's perfect. What's more, the psu included comes with the standard 24 pin configuration and not proprietary connectors, which is great!
It came with a Core2Duo and its motherboard and ram, which I stripped out of course.

And so it all began...

All the parts:
-AcBel Proprietary 180w psu
-Lenovo A70 SFF Case
-Asrock AB350M-HDV motherboard
-AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
-AMD Wraith Spire cooler
-gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 16gb x1
-intel 600p 256gb NVME SSD
-Delta 80mm 3800rpm intake fan

Last edited:

qks57

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
The case itself.

The original components inside the A70 SFF. This photo shows it already transplanted into another case.

Completion of installation. Ryzen 5 2400G APU on Asrock AB350M-HDV with Gskill Ripjaws V 16gb ram. NVME ssd also installed.

Had to rewire the power switch, power led and hdd led wires... not difficult, just needed to re-trace the wires every now and then to make sure they're not wrongly connected. I really don't like proprietary connectors.
Here's how they look like initially. Didn't take a photo so found one online.

Here's a shot after I've completed the re-wiring. Used the sleeves from a scrapped case.

Next I hooked up the front panel USB2.0 connector to my motherboard. I was initially confused, the connector had 11 pins but there are only 9 pins on all standard motherboards. Turns out Lenovo had something additional on the USB header on their motherboard, which can be excluded when connecting to a regular motherboard. And that was great!

Here's a diagram I found with regards to the connector I mentioned. Left 2 pins can be excluded. Insert as per usual for the remaining 9 pins.

TA-DAH! All completed!

I recently found a good deal on a Gigabyte AB350N Wi-Fi motherboard and pulled the trigger on it. Can't wait for it to arrive and swap out this Asrock motherboard!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Nice job! I'm working on a ... somewhat similar project myself (though more ambitious, as in involving quite a bit of cutting into the case), so I've really come to appreciate these compact pre-built cases. Hope the PSU still has some life in it! Are you sure it's proprietary, though? Kind of look slike a TFX PSU. If so, there are definitely options for you to replace it if needed :)

I have to ask, though, are you running a single stick of RAM? If so, you're leaving a decent chunk of potential performance on the metaphorical table; the iGPU needs all the bandwidth it can get, and Ryzen is generally a fan of faster RAM. A dual channel 16GB kit should be noticeably better than a single 16GB DIMM for anything remotely demanding.

qks57

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
Nice job! I'm working on a ... somewhat similar project myself (though more ambitious, as in involving quite a bit of cutting into the case), so I've really come to appreciate these compact pre-built cases. Hope the PSU still has some life in it! Are you sure it's proprietary, though? Kind of look slike a TFX PSU. If so, there are definitely options for you to replace it if needed :)

I have to ask, though, are you running a single stick of RAM? If so, you're leaving a decent chunk of potential performance on the metaphorical table; the iGPU needs all the bandwidth it can get, and Ryzen is generally a fan of faster RAM. A dual channel 16GB kit should be noticeably better than a single 16GB DIMM for anything remotely demanding.

I will be replacing it with 2 sticks of 8gb. The current one is the original tfx psu.

The newer Lenovo/dell sff come with tfx psu but with proprietary connectors, between 10-16 pin. I've had 2 of those(lenovo i5 6500 and dell i5 7500) hence I know. The lenovo had a 12 pins main while the Dell had a 14 pins main.

Will be looking out for your thread!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I will be replacing it with 2 sticks of 8gb. The current one is the original tfx psu.

The newer Lenovo/dell sff come with tfx psu but with proprietary connectors, between 10-16 pin. I've had 2 of those(lenovo i5 6500 and dell i5 7500) hence I know. The lenovo had a 12 pins main while the Dell had a 14 pins main.

Will be looking out for your thread!
Ah, so they're among the ones ditching all the useless wires in the ATX spec? One could really wish that an update to the spec came along and removed all the ones that haven't been in real use for a decade, but until then I suppose we have to rely on custom cable harnesses and the like.

Did you receive your new motherboard yet? And why are you replacing the Asrock - unhappy with it?

qks57

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
Ah, so they're among the ones ditching all the useless wires in the ATX spec? One could really wish that an update to the spec came along and removed all the ones that haven't been in real use for a decade, but until then I suppose we have to rely on custom cable harnesses and the like.

Did you receive your new motherboard yet? And why are you replacing the Asrock - unhappy with it?

Sorry about the very late reply.. I'm replacing the motherboard so I have more space inside the case; its a want, not a need. I've got it for a month now but i haven't got around to swapping it out yet due to work and kids..

Not sure if those wires are not needed really.. because I'd think if they're really redundant, then the mainstream manufacturers would've ditched them long ago to save cost and raise the price on consumers already, don't you think?

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Sorry about the very late reply.. I'm replacing the motherboard so I have more space inside the case; its a want, not a need. I've got it for a month now but i haven't got around to swapping it out yet due to work and kids..

Not sure if those wires are not needed really.. because I'd think if they're really redundant, then the mainstream manufacturers would've ditched them long ago to save cost and raise the price on consumers already, don't you think?
Nah, remember, it's up to Intel to update the ATX spec and until then anyone aiming for retail has to comply with the standard. AFAIK modern motherboards mainly use 12V, ditch -12V, and connect 5V and 3.3V but with low-gauge traces as they're never really loaded. There are server ITX boards that can run off 12V only (generating everything else on-board), so there's definitely room to reduce clutter, but it would require an updated ATX power standard.

Reactions: NateDawg72