Log Laser Cut 7L Alu and Acrylic case

troybot

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Hi everyone.

I always wanted to make my own case but thought the cost would be much too high so I kind of sidelined the idea. Then I saw the post a couple of months by Carsten which made the idea much more possible and not so expensive (thanks again for the idea mate!)

Unfortunately my measurements were not quite perfect on the gpu and riser side. I think when I eventually make a newer version I will change to one of the adt risers, since they provide accurate CAD drawings.

Case dimensions 304x126x184

I live in Germany so everything I ordered from Europe

The custom length cables I already owned from a previous build.

Parts came as a single piece with 2mm bridges. The aluminium is unfinished so there are noticable cuts and blemishes. But I'm ok with this style of look. Maybe for a newer version I will actually prime and paint it.

Cut the pieces apart and a bit of sanding on the joins

Tapped the holes for the recessed screw heads

To attach the psu I made some slides which attached to the upper cubes. if I make a newer version I will definitely add some tolerance.

Case assembled - it was definiately a lot of trial and error. I cut ym 120mm fan to accomodate some of the 12mm cubes.

Here was my first mistake. I self measured the PCIe cable, since the manufacturer could not send me cad drawings :(

Because of how the case is built I can just remove panels to add components

Big problem number 2 - the power cable was thicker than I thought, so I had to add m3 spacers to make it fit. This of course blocked my power button. I ordered a new one from TaoBao since I cant find a supplier here in Europe for a flatter version

GPU side - I replaced the cooler from my EVGA 2080ti black with one from a gainward card (thicker HS)

MB side was almost perfect. GPU side sadly not.

Everything is working though

hyshka

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2020
Wow, very cool build! The laser cutting is actually a reasonable price. I really like the venting on the top and bottom and how you put the big fan on the bottom panel.

Reactions: troybot

troybot

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Wow, very cool build! The laser cutting is actually a reasonable price. I really like the venting on the top and bottom and how you put the big fan on the bottom panel.
Exactly, thats what I was confused about, I had always imagined it would be hundreds of Euros or not possible in small quantities!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've noticed you laser cut all the pieces with small "stems" joining them. What is the purpose of this? Is it more economical to laser cut the outer perimeters as one larger shape and does it result in less closed shapes?

troybot

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
I've noticed you laser cut all the pieces with small "stems" joining them. What is the purpose of this? Is it more economical to laser cut the outer perimeters as one larger shape and does it result in less closed shapes?
Correct, they're called design bridges. Cutting a single it as a single piece is much cheaper than sending all parts separated. When I cut the acryic its not needed, they just cut it however it fits on their sheet size.

E.S. Kim

Cable Smoosher
Dec 31, 2019
Nice project you're working on. May I ask the thickness of the aluminum panels you are using? From the photos, they look like 2mm or 3mm. I ask because I'm also designing a case now and have to decide on panel thickness. You're evaluation of whether the panels you used are stiff enough (whether they sag or bend easily) would be helpful too.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Hi, I used 2mm aluminium. It's stiff enough for a case but it bends easily! I made that mistake by pushing too hard while cutting off one of the design bridges. So as long as everything is connected well enough I think it's fine. But if I did it again I would maybe consider stainless steel

Reactions: Arboreal