Stalled k_ses: dual-slot cards up to 229mm (6700XT) @ <4,4L (brickless / internal HDPLEX 250W GaN PSU)

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Happy new year to all,

While waiting on the k4.32L & k3.93L prototypes I can't get a third layout based around the HDPELX 250W GaN out of my head:

For longer than 197mm cards I'd change the layout to a sandwich style... here the PSU no longer dictates the maximum CPU/GPU-cooler clearance and when focusing on the Noctua NH-L9 and dual-slot cards you could have a PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter @ under 4,4L!

Personally I wanted to have 2,5 slot 197mm over 2 slot 229mm, but actually a undervolted/underclocked RX 6700 XT Fighter should also be plenty silent and is cheaper than my used ASRock RX 6600 XT Challenger ITX. MAYBE there would be more interest in something like this? Please let me know... :)

Smashzoom

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 30, 2022
Hey!
I'm very interested in the same concept from December 2022
Did you get any other thoughts regarding that concept since this have been posted?

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019

sp0iltbr4t

Cable Smoosher
Jul 22, 2018
would you consider one more option for low profile gpu too but not sandwich type thou. .. perhaps without the PCIe riser/extension cable

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
@Starficz I know about your project... I'm one of the Likes on your post :)

The first time that I skimmed through it I thought of only one 250W GaN and that you probably would encounter problems with the ATX ports colliding. (My k4.32L at that time similary had one 250W GaN next to the board but because of console layout it could use the gap between board and card for it's ports. A gap sandwichlayout wouldn't give you.) And then I saw two 250W GaN... 😳

Liked the 3D cramming (which ports of which PSU can be blocked) dedication to 500W, <4L and countersunk screws.

My k3.93L does a little bit of that.

It's probably to late into this generation to focus on the 6700XT Fighter. Sure there will be other cards that will fit, but I wouldn't want to miss out on a potentially great 7700XT just because of 1-2mm.

And has solved this issue. Expansions and diffrent covers are "easy" parts that can be replaced at any time. You are able to always right size your build.

Also there is this party trick of mounting a monitor. For ridiculously small footprint and short cable runs with accesible I/O.