Discussion Issues with gpu over m.2

Hungrythundr

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
So, I got an h510 thin itx motherboard. It runs the basic ami bios and Ive been trying to get my gpu to work using it. I cant even get the gpu to spin up or light up. The closest Ive gotten to seeing the card even spin is when I plugged sata power for the powered riser into the motherboard and the gpu fan twitched. Im using an rtx 3060 and a i5 11400t. In the bios it says that their is no nvme device detected when I use the riser and gpu. When I use my m.2 tho, it shows up fine. Ive already ordered a new riser but it will take a while to show up. Has anyone else had this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I think your 3060 is not getting sufficient power if it is being fed by SATA power from the board.
What wattage is the power brick you are using?
I think the 3060 will need a higher wattage 12v power supply to work fully.

Hungrythundr

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Im using the fsp flex guru 500 and I have the 8pi pcie directly plugged into it and it fails to show any signs of life. the sata is just to power the riser cable since it is an upowered riser.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks, the 500w flex psu should be OK for the whole system including the 3060.
I'm still not clear on your setup, so a couple questions.
Your original post says that you are using an H510 Thin ITX board, what model is it?
How are you powering the motherboard?

Hungrythundr

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
ok sorry, I probably should have provided more context.

motherboard

it only takes a 4 pin eps connector or dc barrel jack of 19v. I have it setup with the eps connector and it runs fine off of the integrated graphics.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks, I had forgotten about the useful EPS power option on many thin ITX boards.
As there is an 8 pin PCIe powering the card, that's fine.
Part of me is still concerned that a SATA power cable is being used to supply the 75w base power to the card that would normally come from the board via the direct PCIe slot.
If you had a low power card (up to a 1050Ti/1650 say) that doesn't need a secondary supply to test the slot power that would let you know if it is a power or riser problem.

Hungrythundr

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Thanks, I had forgotten about the useful EPS power option on many thin ITX boards.
As there is an 8 pin PCIe powering the card, that's fine.
Part of me is still concerned that a SATA power cable is being used to supply the 75w base power to the card that would normally come from the board via the direct PCIe slot.
If you had a low power card (up to a 1050Ti/1650 say) that doesn't need a secondary supply to test the slot power that would let you know if it is a power or riser problem.
From what I understand most unpowered m.2 risers only supply 45 watts just so that the gpu is recognized. My friend has an a2000 I could probably test with. I did order a new riser a while ago that should show up soon so hopefully its just an issue with the cable being bad or something along those lines.