Is there a way to make a right angled usb3 19 pin header

xelrix

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Edit: I am very sorry for the botched title.
Intended title is "Is there a way to make a right angled usb3 19 pin header"

Preferably cheap/free diy.

The internal usb3.0 19 pin is on the right side of the board (back panel io to the right).
As the connector for the front usb3.0 is rather big and stiff, the whole connector standing upright is really blocking the pathway of airflow. Not to mention the equally stiff cable arching over wherever from the middle of the board.

My idea is to shave/grind the hard plastic head until either malleable enough to be bend about 90*.
Im not exactly comfortable in cutting it off and recable the header unless there's a tutorial for it (yes I'm asking to be spoonfed the link to such tutorial, sorry).

I've already tried searching online for a 90* adapter but there's no local source. Not even the plastic header itself for me to try making them myself.

The board is asrock fatality ab350 gaming itx and the case is sg13.

Pictures for reference.

xelrix

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Yes that adapter would be ideal but the price, even with free shipping, is pretty steep. Sadly I can't find a local source online.

Honegod

Cable Smoosher
Dec 7, 2017
local supply

I believe they make them up themselves by wiring a plug and socket together with REALLY short wires and heatshrinking it to shape.

You could make your own, but moddiy is where I get that kind of thing from.
The shipping is for an envelope stuffed full so buying a whole bunch of stuff at once works best for me.

Reactions: Biowarejak

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I have not been able to find anything cheaper than 9.99 (with free shipping). Doesn't seem too bad of a price, but it would definitely be nice if someone found a tutorial!

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
You could get a male header and a female header on moddiy and solder them up yourself. Only save about $6. Id just shell out the $10 for the premade solution myself.

Another option if the header on the motherboard is through-hole (you can see the solder joints on the bottom) would be to just solder your usb3 wire to it and try to get it as flat as possible. Its not recommended but doable.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have personally done a little search for this item as well as I might need it for a coming build.
I have found many cheap (in price but probably not in quality) ones available in Taobao.
Here is just one example which costs only RMB12 but not sure about the shipping cost to your geographical location.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...FPeQnm&id=562773938703&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail
(please replace the xxx above by com as somehow it is banning 'dot com' MOD EDIT: Sorry about that, was trialing a stronger anti-spam filter. Have reverted :))

When ordering such item, make sure you choose the right version (ver A or ver B).

Edit:
If you wish to see more similar choices/vendors, just type ''usb 3.0 20 19 pin 90 degree'' and it should return with many others.

Last edited: