Memory right angle adapter as alternative to VLP RAM?

runcyclexcski

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
Assuming one has only two memory slots (mini-ITX), are there right angle adapters which could be used to turn 288 pin DDR4 memory 90 degrees, and thus reduce the height, and gain enough space to use thicker/bigger non-stock fans on the CPU cooler? Would this expand the options for ram? Previously, I used a flexible ribbon to fit a bulky GPU horizontally. So I was wondering if the same trick can be used for ram.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
As far as I know RAM is very fickle with tolerances and angle adapters would probably cause issues. I can't find anything about this but it would cause other issues like obscuring the 24-pin ATX connector, which is often located closeby. For low profile designs like Thin ITX, this is already accounted for by using angled or horizontally oriented slots.

The VLP memory sticks already exist, they just need to find a manufacturer willing to make them ready for retail. I can hardly believe Crucial and Samsung made a loss on their DDR3 VLP memory.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Assuming one has only two memory slots (mini-ITX), are there right angle adapters which could be used to turn 288 pin DDR4 memory 90 degrees, and thus reduce the height, and gain enough space to use thicker/bigger non-stock fans on the CPU cooler? Would this expand the options for ram? Previously, I used a flexible ribbon to fit a bulky GPU horizontally. So I was wondering if the same trick can be used for ram.

I did it. It worked. Sorta.

A soldered-on RAM slot, 36 sections of RJ45 cables soldered to it and then to a sawed off 4GB ddr4 stick that was dead.

Two hours of soldering, because I'm bad. EDIT: And slow.

When it was done...

I booted it. Tried to adjust RAM speed. The machine shut down.
So I just let it load windows. Ran everything fine, until I ran Cinebench.
Boom. It crashed.

As @Phuncz said, it's sensitive. Insanely so.
It's also WAY more volume than a VLP stick. It was ugly.

I'll post the picture (the only picture) I took of it later.

Reactions: owliwar

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I see there is such product for DDR3 204pin memory. It is mainly used to achieve the opposite effect, ie turning horizontal to vertical.
As such an adapter exists for DDR3, one might argue that there should be something for DDR4 288pin as well. But, I do not see any.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32957870609.html

Even if it exists, another problem is that you will need a pair of different height because, if both adapters turn 90-degree at the same height, the 2 memory sticks will have conflict. But, it seems to me it is next to impossible to expect an adapter will come in 2 versions of different height. (And I wonder if the difference in adapter height might just introduce a tiny bit of latency that will mess up the pairing?)

So, it might be better just to look for solution in terms of the cooler and fans.

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017

i know asus was working on something like that before the double capacity dimms announcement. they probably cancelled it due to memory trace length stability issues. going through multiple connectors is always inconsistent, especially with something as sensitive as ram.

Reactions: Phuncz

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Many VLP DDR4 ECC if you go the Xeon way :D.

Consumerz want RGB. No space for RGB with VLP. Blame RGB ! (Troll mode level master :D)

runcyclexcski

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
Thanks! Indeed it sounds like these connectors are more finicky than connecting a PCI express card via an adapter.

SKinflint appears to know about the 18.75 mm height memory, and finds the following four products; one from Kingston and three from Crucial. One even seems to have 1 review as of today.

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=ramddr3&xf=14700_18.75~5828_DDR4

Confusingly, clicking on the Kingston link at the UK Alternate store shows an image with a 'normal' size module. At the same time, the kingston PDF spec shows an 18.75 mm module:

Listed since 2018-09-11, 9:22am

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KSM24RS4L_16MEI.pdf

Last edited:

runcyclexcski

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
Sounds epic! My soldering skills are way below being comfortable to solder 288 connectors. Normally I am game to ruin an expensive piece of electronics. Did this most recently with a 1K diode chip, and that involved soldering only 2 connectors...

runcyclexcski

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
>>>Even if it exists, another problem is that you will need a pair of different height because, if both adapters turn 90-degree at the same height, the 2 memory sticks will have conflict.

Indeed, and I remember seeing a right-handed and a left-handed version of the adapter... for DDR3 only, not DDR4.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Let's compare a DDR4 module to PCI Express: the RAM has 64 data pins , each carrying up to 3.2 gbit/s data. NXP recommends no longer than seven inches for max lead-in trace length, the JEDEC standard has a note of 205mm. Of course, a connection will attenuate the signal much like as if it would be a few inches of trace itself -- you can see this becomes impossible very rapidly. PCI Express is an entirely different beast: only 16 data lanes although each can carry up to 8 gbit/s but the tolerances are much higher, 3M even sells a 50cm long extension cable and that's in addition to the traces on the board. The standard was written with an eye towards external cabling, even.