Is there a definitive 'best' mini itx AM4 board for Ryzen 2400g and beyond? (APU specific)

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Trying to figure out if there is 'best' board as the title says. I've read there's a board that has a 4+3 or 3+3 VRM setup. But all I've seen is X+2.
I'm specifically talking about APU use, 2400g and the new 3000 series and beyond.

Last edited:

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
I would recommend the Gigabyte b450i, since it has a 4+2 phase with 50AMP IR 3556 power stages.
The MSI B350i might also be intresting since it has a 6+2 phase with 60AMP IR 3555 power stages, but MSI's bios support for APU's is, as far as I know really bad.
I'm personally using the Gigabyte b350n itx board for my 2400g. After modding the heatsink it's quite good. The b450i has a much larger heatsink and it should be ok. The bios from Gigabyte is a bit clunky but does it's joob.

Reactions: deeree

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I would recommend the Gigabyte b450i, since it has a 4+2 phase with 50AMP IR 3556 power stages.
The MSI B350i might also be intresting since it has a 6+2 phase with 60AMP IR 3555 power stages, but MSI's bios support for APU's is, as far as I know really bad.
I'm personally using the Gigabyte b350n itx board for my 2400g. After modding the heatsink it's quite good. The b450i has a much larger heatsink and it should be ok. The bios from Gigabyte is a bit clunky but does it's joob.
I actually think those are the monitor's bezels (look closely at the reflections along the edges). Speakers, maybe?

From what I've read in reviews (Amazon,Newegg lots of bitching)most of the b350 mobos had really bad APU support, my MSI B450 mobo has 6+2 and worked right off the bat with 2400G despite over a year old BIOS rev 3 versions old.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
From what I've read in reviews (Amazon,Newegg lots of bitching)most of the b350 mobos had really bad APU support, my MSI B450 mobo has 6+2 and worked right off the bat with 2400G despite over a year old BIOS rev 3 versions old.
Can you overclock the GPU in the bios? Last time I checked it wasn't possible. Would be great if it works now. One other reason why I don't like the b450 version in particular is that it doesn't has cooled phases, the b350 on the other hand has cooled soc phases. And once you overclock the GPU those phases need to be cooled. But small glue on heatsinks should also be enough.
Also, the first gen boards didn't support the APU's out of the box when they came out, that could be a reason for the bad reviews.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Can you overclock the GPU in the bios? Last time I checked it wasn't possible. Would be great if it works now. One other reason why I don't like the b450 version in particular is that it doesn't has cooled phases, the b350 on the other hand has cooled soc phases. And once you overclock the GPU those phases need to be cooled. But small glue on heatsinks should also be enough.
Also, the first gen boards didn't support the APU's out of the box when they came out, that could be a reason for the bad reviews.

Even looking at recent reviews on Newegg/Amazon they say the same things, even after bios updates.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015

I believe OC support was added after release, I've seen vids on how at youtube. The bios shows support when I looked around the menus. Don't have any need to OC so not a factor , the b350s need an older cpu in socket to update the bios AMD will loan you one google "boot kit"

Edit: RE: Cooled phases: I think the complaint was the they were under heatsinked, but there is one for cooling 6 however the plus 2 are not. It appears to be the same layout and the mounting holes are on the b450 as the b350, could probably get a b350 for parts if it was that important and transplant the heatsink.
Edit2: more looking and reading the main 6 are under the heatsink rated most efficient of mobo makers by buildzoid fwif lone vrm for SOC. Apparently gpu OC has been coming and going with bios updates, mine no longer has it with latest

Last edited:

Rado269

Efficiency Noob
May 24, 2019
Hello,

Can't speak too much for OC'ing but I'm using the Gigabyte B450i in two SFF builds w/ Ryzen 5 2400G's. One is in the Inwin Chopin case; I'm currently putting a second one in a different build. The Inwin case gets regular use in the living room and works great. I did have one issue with the MOBO about a month in but swapped it out at MicroCenter and the new one's been running just fine. I also considered the MSI B450, but MicroCenter doesn't carry it.

A buddy at work also put the Gigabyte B450i with a Ryzen 5 1600+1080ti and OC'd both the CPU and GPU and it's been running stable for a few months now. Not that that applies to an APU, just something to note.

From what I had read before making my purchase the Gigabyte is the best performer for pure APU builds, although at this point I wouldn't be able to cite sources.

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
I personally enjoy the ASROCK X470 Fatality or B450 mainly since it has a Display Port for guaranteed compatibility with Freesync capable monitors. (More so than HDMI equivalent). This is a requirement with the 2200/2400G if you have any plans for gaming.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
ASRock B450 ITX hands down.

Best price, features, and power delivery combination for an APU.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Just stumbled upon this video.
In the video he says the MSI is the best for cpu, gigabyte is the best for APU builds.
"
BEST Mini-ITX AM4 MOTHERBOARDS
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC (Amazon) - http://geni.us/B7Hdcf
Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro WiFi (Newegg) - http://geni.us/MWoqlTv
"
NOTE: Those might be affiliate links for Gamers Nexus and I am in no associated with them.
edit: I can never spell associated right.

Last edited:

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Just stumbled upon this video.
In the video he says the MSI is the best for cpu, gigabyte is the best for APU builds.
"
BEST Mini-ITX AM4 MOTHERBOARDS
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC (Amazon) - http://geni.us/B7Hdcf
Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro WiFi (Newegg) - http://geni.us/MWoqlTv
"
NOTE: Those might be affiliate links for Gamers Nexus and I am in no associatted with them.
Something important to note, these are mostly comparing VRM quality which is important when you're doing massive overclocking. Most APUs will be handled by the boards' VRM just fine, even overclocked.

I would say the most important thing is the feature set. Does it have enough M.2 slots? DisplayPort for the APU? PCIe Bifurcation maybe?

I bought the ASrock B350 board for my wife's PC and it was fine, but I'm not pushing it at all.

Reactions: hyp36rmax

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
I'd like to add that I currently have the ASRock b450 and the VRM whines any time I do anything even remotely gpu centric. Sometimes it'll give a whine when scrolling in chrome. Swapped to a full fat 650w psu to test and it still does it unfortunately.

I have a Gigabyte b450 on the way so I'll do some testing. I know I'll need to manually set the voltages because it overvolts the cpu like crazy on stock settings.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Looking around in my MSI B450 BIOS, under Advanced CPU menu there's a graphics tab filled in with Auto, has a penci icon next to it so I typed 1500MHz in and another menu tab popped up to specify the iGPU voltage. I didn't reboot with those numbers but OCing the iGPU appears possible. In videos I have seen, these menu option were in the main OC menu page.

How it looks on entry to Advanced CPU setting GFX clock freq sort of looks fixed

Mouse over on GFX reveals pencil, so can type in box

Typing in 1500 the "MHZ" protion was automatically appended and brings up the GFX Core voltage which can also be edited

The downloaded user manual wan't even close to up to date on this stuff

Last edited: