Power Supply Is it possible to use a gunique unit with an HDPLex 400w ac-dc?

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
IIRC, the HDPlex 400 ac-dc is 19v output, and I don't believe gunique units can take 19v as input

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
IIRC, the HDPlex 400 ac-dc is 19v output, and I don't believe gunique units can take 19v as input

Oh my bad! 400 AC-DC.

Then no. You'll need a Dynamo 360 first.

Yeah, it's NOT the dc-atx....

So I can't. I wanted to use them in a project where there is no room for a dynamo 360.

I wonder if a converter could be made to turn 12v-19v (and vise versa).
With said converter, you could use the HDPlex 400 DC-ATX with a meanwell unit (I THINK) or a g-unique with an 400W AC-DC.....
I'm going to hold onto that idea........

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yeah, it's NOT the dc-atx....

So I can't. I wanted to use them in a project where there is no room for a dynamo 360.

With said converter, you could use the HDPlex 400 DC-ATX with a meanwell unit (I THINK) or a g-unique with an 400W AC-DC.....
I'm going to hold onto that idea........

I mean you can use converter but then you're back to where you started. Voltage conversion requires high tech and expensive board designs or larger but cheaper board designs. Either way a conversion of the main 12V rail requires space.

A 12V version of the hdplex AC-DC wouldn't be difficult. But it would require a big up start cost, due modification and certification. I prefer the 3x5 size of industrial power supply. The hdplex is just too specialized of a psu.

Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Well, if you were to make that then I guess you might have something bigger and more complex than the dynamo. Converting 12v to 19v would be pretty inefficient because the hdplex dc components would convert it back to 12v to use with the PC.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I mean you can use converter but then you're back to where you started. Voltage conversion requires high tech and expensive board designs or larger but cheaper board designs. Either way a conversion of the main 12V rail requires space.

A 12V version of the hdplex AC-DC wouldn't be difficult. But it would require a big up start cost, due modification and certification. I prefer the 3x5 size of industrial power supply. The hdplex is just too specialized of a psu.

Well, if you were to make that then I guess you might have something bigger and more complex than the dynamo. Converting 12v to 19v would be pretty inefficient because the hdplex dc components would convert it back to 12v to use with the PC.

Okay. Let's pretend (for sake of discussion) that you could convert 12v-19v or 19v-12v in a small space.

With something like that (since watt=volts x amps) would current loss be an issue?

I like the 3x5 PSUs aswell (and your ONE2 Distro (@Thehack) makes 12V builds so much easier) but not everyone is comfortable with open frame PSUs (like me). I'm just looking for a more user friendly solution!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Okay. Let's pretend (for sake of discussion) that you could convert 12v-19v or 19v-12v in a small space.

With something like that (since watt=volts x amps) would current loss be an issue?

I like the 3x5 PSUs aswell (and your ONE2 Distro (@Thehack) makes 12V builds so much easier) but not everyone is comfortable with open frame PSUs (like me). I'm just looking for a more user friendly solution!

Yes. There is about a 3% power lost between DC-DC conversion.

And I agree that open frame psu scares people. I'm hopping to make it a bit more integrated by supporting the chassis version of Meanwells. It is still not quite plug and play but enough to let anyone who is tinker savvy work with it.

I'm also supporting flex atx because it has the same footprint as a stop gap. Allows people who don't want a pure 12V build to have a choice.

One can also use external units as well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So the amperage loss wouldn't be an issue then.

I added a little bit more to that post.

Nope. In the grand scheme of things 3% is 12W loss. It depends but I the hdplex 400 dc-atx is rated at >94% efficient. So it has a <6% power loss. My number was just a guess.

The issue with running 19V internal psu is you have two stages of inefficient.

AC-DC is about 94%. 19V to 12V (main rail) is 95% (could be better but hdplex only guarantee >94%). Now you're at 89% total efficiency. Means every 100W you use you're putting 11W of heat out and if it is internal it gets dumped inside the case.

Running a pure 12V means there is no DC-DC loss, only transmission loss and component loss. It'd be like 94% x 99% = 93%.

Assuming you have a reasonable 300W load you're now dumping 36W of heat inside the case for hdplex and 22W for 12V. 36W is half the power of a stock i5.

Small numbers but it can certainly add up.

Last edited:
Reactions: InfernoZeus

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I added a little bit more to that post.

Nope. In the grand scheme of things 3% is 12W loss. It depends but I believe the hdplex 400 dc-atx is rated at 96% efficient. So it has a 4% power loss. My number was just a guess.

The issue with running 19V internal psu is you have two stages of inefficient.

AC-DC is about 94%. 19V to 12V (main rail) is 96%. Now you're at 90% total efficiency. Means every 100W you use you're putting 10W of heat out and if it is internal it gets dumped inside the case.

Running a pure 12V means there is no DC-DC loss, only transmission loss and component loss. It'd be like 94% x 99% = 93%.

Wow. Way more efficient. I think you should seriously consider a EPP-400-12 enclosure.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Wow. Way more efficient. I think you should seriously consider a EPP-400-12 enclosure.

Lol I keep updating my post but I just checked that hdplex is rated at >94% so it does skew towards the 12V unit. Of course these are all ball park numbers so don't take it as gospel.

I can only create a DIY kit since I cannot actually certify a psu. A certification costs $5k. The label that hdplex affixes to their units mean they meet safety standards.

A meanwell enclosure wouldn't be difficult from a safety stand point because I'm just wrapping an already certified psu but it does add another layer of pay to play I need to do.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Lol I keep updating my post but I just checked that hdplex is rated at >94% so it does skew towards the 12V unit. Of course these are all ball park numbers so don't take it as gospel.

I can only create a DIY kit since I cannot actually certify a psu. A certification costs $5k. The label that hdplex affixes to their units mean they meet safety standards.

A meanwell enclosure wouldn't be difficult from a safety stand point because I'm just wrapping an already certified psu but it does add another layer of pay to play I need to do.

Why would it cost extra?