Discussion Intel 13th & 14th Gen Warranty/Returns

Jp42nca

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
If you send in a 13th or 14th gen for a new one under warranty do you get a Brand New redesign/re-engineered cpu with power limits? Or do you get the original defective cpu & perform the BIOS update as advised by your motherboard mfg?

Since they probably have plenty of these cpu's sitting on a shelf somewhere I wonder if they would trash them or just send them out with a advisement to update your bios.

Any thoughts here or knowledge as to what they are doing?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If you have a CPU with issues already showing, the only solution is to replace it. The problem can't be fixed when it's already beyond the threshold.
Just updating the microcode doesn't fix the issue, it can only extend the life of the CPUs that haven't deteriorated.

Reactions: Jp42nca

Jp42nca

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
If you have a CPU with issues already showing, the only solution is to replace it. The problem can't be fixed when it's already beyond the threshold.
Just updating the microcode doesn't fix the issue, it can only extend the life of the CPUs that haven't deteriorated.
I was aware the update was a band aid. I would like to have a new one without the issues, brand new no problem. Everyone who purchased these cpu's deserve that due to how much the cpu cost me. Mine hasn't taken a dump yet, however I read an article recently that mentioned Intel would take cpu's regardless if they were damaged or not. Not sure if it true or fake news that's why I'm asking. I guess maybe I should contact Intel (yeah right, I'm sure they have reps standing by LOL) & ask them. The article also went on saying that they are backlogged & it could take 5-7 weeks for a RMA to be fulfilled.

Jp42nca

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020

milesvw

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 20, 2022
That's pretty much what I read in a recent article on line. I can only assume that the new replacements are made correctly. Just looking for validation. Thanks
They are deep into 15th gen production. Not sure what they could do to spin more silicon for 14th gen right now. Check stepping on a site that tracks that. CPU Wiki or CPU World maybe?
I didn't want/need the extra cores anyway, just wanted 8 performance cores (12700kf is 187 new if that's all that is needed). But I wound up with a basic 14700 (no F no K). It's fast, nd I have updated BIOS.

Reactions: Jp42nca

Jp42nca

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
They are deep into 15th gen production. Not sure what they could do to spin more silicon for 14th gen right now. Check stepping on a site that tracks that. CPU Wiki or CPU World maybe?
I didn't want/need the extra cores anyway, just wanted 8 performance cores (12700kf is 187 new if that's all that is needed). But I wound up with a basic 14700 (no F no K). It's fast, nd I have updated BIOS.
Thanks for that, much appreciated. I just updated my BIOS for my i9-13900k using EZ Flash in the bios & all went well, no issues. Have another question maybe you can answer for me.

I have another build, ASUS B660i & i7-12700k. It has been running without issues but would like to update the bios as well. The bios is v1620 release date 8.16.22, I would like to update it to the latest, v3403 release date 8.9.24. Can I download the latest version (3403) & install without having to do any of the previous versions updates first? There have been 12 updates between 1620 & 3403. On the ASUS website I didn't see anything that mentioned that a previous version has to be installed before newest/latest version can be installed.

I think that it would be ok but just need someone with more expertise to let me know if I'm correct or not.