Motherboard Incoming AM4 Mini-ITX boards

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Actually their 775 boards gave me a bad taste in my mouth. They never updated their BIOS!

Lmao I never had any issues that needed an update, although back then I really just wanted something that worked and the other brands I used during that generation (Gigabyte, ECS, and JetWay) had some weird issues I could never get fixed.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey friends,

Have we had any AM4 coolers (or kits) that are S4 Mini friendly come out?

Also, how hard do you think it would be to DIY a cooler out of an oversized (2011 or something) copper heatsink? Is there a pattern for AM4's stock mount I could work off of?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Hey friends,

Have we had any AM4 coolers (or kits) that are S4 Mini friendly come out?

Also, how hard do you think it would be to DIY a cooler out of an oversized (2011 or something) copper heatsink? Is there a pattern for AM4's stock mount I could work off of?
I think i have idea. @sergiiua made copper cooler for his gtx 1060 and you could do it for your cpu. Just drill holes in the copper block where the screw hole is. You can do this by using a marker. Just put a copper block on the cpu, turn over the mobo while holding cpu cooler on the cpu and mark it. Then you just use some screws and thighten it down untill it has good contact with cpu. Then you just add a fan.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
You can do this by using a marker. Just put a copper block on the cpu, turn over the mobo while holding cpu cooler on the cpu and mark it. Then you just use some screws and thighten it down untill it has good contact with cpu. Then you just add a fan.

If possible, I'd much prefer to print out a template or two, verify that lines up with the holes on the motherboard, and then use that to line up and drill my holes. Needing to (carefully) support the motherboard while laying everything out makes me worry too much.

At some point, I'm so low tech that I'll have probably to lay some things out by hand but I'd like to minimize the number of mistakes I can make.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Validifyed

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2017
So today a X370GTN became available to me (In the UK) from a re-seller for £160 ($210), wondering if anyone knows of any other places that have it in stock either in the UK or shippable for less money before I go ahead and buy. Its quite a high premium, but I guess its OOS everywhere and even when its in its hard to get it here in Europe.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
It was on sale just for 120€ last week on Amazon Italy but now out of stock. I ordered mine for 133€ and waiting it to be shipped.

Last edited:

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
So today a X370GTN became available to me (In the UK) from a re-seller for £160 ($210), wondering if anyone knows of any other places that have it in stock either in the UK or shippable for less money before I go ahead and buy. Its quite a high premium, but I guess its OOS everywhere and even when its in its hard to get it here in Europe.
With ASRock and Gigabyte likely to release their AM4 ITX boards in June & July I would hold out.
I wouldn't even be surprised if they make an appearance at Computex in a couple of weeks.

dbjungle

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2017
I'm using a Phanteks PH TC12LS. You can put any fan on it. I have a EKWB Vardar fan on it.

EDIT: Couldn't figure out how to insert quotes on mobile. This is a good alternative to the Noctua cooler.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
With ASRock and Gigabyte likely to release their AM4 ITX boards in June & July I would hold out.
I wouldn't even be surprised if they make an appearance at Computex in a couple of weeks.

Really hoping Computex gives us some solid info on RX Vega (...please, oh Sweet Jebbus, PLEASE give us a RX Vega Nano...) GPUs & ASRock will show their AM4 ITX motherboard(s) & have a front-side M.2 slot...!

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Really hoping Computex gives us some solid info on RX Vega (...please, oh Sweet Jebbus, PLEASE give us a RX Vega Nano...) GPUs & ASRock will show their AM4 ITX motherboard(s) & have a front-side M.2 slot...!
What's wrong with backside?
I've only been looking at specific sff cases where backside is fine so I imagine there are cases where you need the extra space?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
What's wrong with backside?
I've only been looking at specific sff cases where backside is fine so I imagine there are cases where you need the extra space?

Nothing wrong with back-side M.2, but I just feel front-side would allow for lower temps of the M.2 SSD, and would allow mounting up this nifty little heatsink https://shop.aquacomputer.de/produc...=3660&XTCsid=muj2dai78101tq5d030h7vrdgkqcliu9

ASRock has their Z270 / H270 ITX MBs with front-sdie M.2, I want to see them continue this with their AM4 ITX offering(s)...

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Nothing wrong with back-side M.2, but I just feel front-side would allow for lower temps of the M.2 SSD, and would allow mounting up this nifty little heatsink https://shop.aquacomputer.de/produc...=3660&XTCsid=muj2dai78101tq5d030h7vrdgkqcliu9

ASRock has their Z270 / H270 ITX MBs with front-sdie M.2, I want to see them continue this with their AM4 ITX offering(s)...

UUUUU and the asrock ones still have Wifi as well. and the wifi is part of the board itself and doesnt use up an extra m.2 slot.

Damn im impressed.

Ok I agree.

But some mini itx cases have a big enough backplate hole so that you can put a heatsink on it anyway.
Louqe Ghost S1 can have fans at the top of the case so it sucks cold air from the bottom so it would flow through the back of the mobo and the back of the Risered GPU and go over the m.2 heatsink and out the top.

szymon247

Caliper Novice
May 2, 2017
^ That's semi-bad for new builders. Although the cooler + brackets isn't much worse of a solution. It's mostly strange that just weeks ago they said the cooler will be out in May too, and it's strange that it's now supposed to take them so much more time.