Discussion Improving airflow on my desk around SM550

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
I'd like you ask you for your advice :)
So, I recently moved to SM550 with Vega 56 GPU. All fine but since I have small desk and big monitor, the case is pushed against the wall from the GPU side (and back side). As a result, when I play games, the hot air does not really have where to go and the GPU ends up throttling down do 1200mhz. This is impacting a lot the gaming performance. Of course, this is undervolted. The fan can't go above 60%, as it gets loud and disturbs the family :)

So, I am thinking of putting some 120mm fans (3) on the side and the back of the desk, just below the top piece. Like this:

This is a gif, I don't know why it isn't playing ... add the "h" below.
ttps://i.imgur.com/N8945dT.mp4

The question, before I ruin the desk, is if this will make any difference at all. If the improvement is just marginal, then I will skip this and think of other solution.

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
I don't think think this would do much, but I have no knowledge of CFD. How much of a gap is there between the desk and the wall?

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
It is between 4 and 5cm on the side. On the back it is more, which will make it harder for the air to move "more" up and also there are the cable there. But on the side, having in mind that narrow space it might create more pressure - this is why I was thinking that it might help the hot air to escape a little faster.

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
Is the gpu a blower syle gpu (only has one fan, exhausts air out the back)? If so moving the case towards the front of the desk could help.

Also, maybe putting small (40 mm or 60 mm) fans between the desk and the wall pointing up would be more effective than larger fans blowing at the wall.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
You would need some sort of ducting to direct the air up towards the case, and since the space is small, would probably increase pressure, which may help

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
I did it eventually :)
And I am happy to report that it works very well given the circumstances. Not very beautiful and accurate, but good enough to allow me NOT TO move my desk every time I play games :D