Other I'm restoring an Apple G4 Cube.

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
I got a Cube when they came out, in around 2001. Arguably (no I don't want to argue) one of the forefathers of the small form factor movement. It's an incredible piece of engineering, but there's a bunch of stuff missing and broken after years of being tinkered with and 'upgraded'. I'm now going to try and restore it and source components to get it back to what it once was. Not to use as a workstation, but just to curate what at least I think is a valuable slice of tech history. I'm wondering if this little side project to my M1 build has a home in the SFF community, or if this is all blasphemy and you'll burn me at the stake if I ever speak of it again?

Reactions: Phuncz

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Kitsune I agree with you that the Apple PowerMac G4 Cube is a very collectable Apple product. There are fewer and fewer cubes coming onto the market in recent years.

I however could not resist modding mine and being able to run current Apple macOS and current apps.

Search on TonyMacX86.com for more about G4 Cubes.

Neil

Reactions: Kitsune

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
Kitsune I agree with you that the Apple PowerMac G4 Cube is a very collectable Apple product. There are fewer and fewer cubes coming onto the market in recent years.

I however could not resist modding mine and being able to run current Apple macOS and current apps.

Search on TonyMacX86.com for more about G4 Cubes.

Neil

I'm on the fence with upgrading the GPU. I found a vendor who has some GeForce 3 500ti's, but obviously with VGA and DVI out, so I would lose that oh-so-special ADC. I know the performance difference is dramatic compared to the ATI 128 it came with. I'm not really sure what to do with that. Do I restore to factory condition and leave it there, or upgrade a few things. It's a difficult choice. Ultimately I don't really see it being used much, if at all, so upgrading in that case seems a bit unnecessary. Argh!