Log I'm a newbie in the world of SFF. Have sone question..

gil9393

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Mar 2, 2024
What i gonna do :

Case : Shyni Snake S400

Graphics Card: GALAX GALAX GeForce RTX 3070 Ti SG OC D6X 8GB 317mm X 113mm X 61mm, 1.3kg (No change, already owned)

CPU : Ryzen 5600x (No change, already owned)

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake AXP90-X53 (height 53mm) (→ replaced with TL-B9 26T fan)

Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac d&dcom

RAM: Thermaltake DDR4-3200 CL16 TOUGHRAM Z-ONE RGB Package (8Gx2)) (No change, already owned)

SSD: 1x Samsung 980 PRO 2TB (non-replaceable, already owned)

Power : **CORSAIR SF750 80 PLUS Platinum** (already owned)

Fans: IS-55 12025X2 (top), 9015 (bottom)

I'm going to do some research here and there to get something like this together.

Someone told me that I just need to replace the fan in the system cooler, but where do you usually get them?

Also, I was wondering if I need a fan hub and extension cable separately, and if there are other products besides the basic ones, such as riser cables, etc.

I'm asking these questions because it would be nice to buy everything at once and start building.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Someone told me that I just need to replace the fan in the system cooler, but where do you usually get them?
Depends on where you are, but Amazon is a good generic source.
Read reviews and stuff and decide based on that.

If you're looking into the S400 and slim 120 fans, I'd strongly suggest the Silverstone Air Slimmer - thats the "toughest" 120 slim fan I know of (and if you like RGB, you get it on top as a bonus).

Also I'd suggest getting the AXP120-X67, as - at least the S400 V2 - supports CPU coolers of up to 67 mm height.

Also, I was wondering if I need a fan hub and extension cable separately, and if there are other products besides the basic ones, such as riser cables, etc.

I'm asking these questions because it would be nice to buy everything at once and start building.
A PCIe 3.0 x16 riser cable is supplied together with the case. You can install a 25 mm together with a up to 16 mm thin fan, but its not really worth it - in my tests there was no difference in cooling performance, even when I stuffed my Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 OC inside.

I strongly suggest getting a fan extension cable though, because plugging in anything is seriously challenging as soon as you've installed the mainboard, at least if any of the fan connectors are located on the top = then bottom of the mainboard (the mb is installed upside down, with the PCIe slot to the top of the case).

If you get fans by Noctua, normally you'd also get both a Y fan splitter and an extension cable, which one would normally have to purchase separately. Scythe Kaze Flex 120 also get delivered with fan extension cables, but not with an additional Y splitter.

If you're in Europe, geizhals would be a good price comparison / supplier / dealer list tool.
I tend to buy at Mindfactory, Alternate and Caseking, and only after that at Amazon, but thats just my preferences.

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: gil9393

gil9393

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Mar 2, 2024
Depends on where you are, but Amazon is a good generic source.
Read reviews and stuff and decide based on that.

If you're looking into the S400 and slim 120 fans, I'd strongly suggest the Silverstone Air Slimmer - thats the "toughest" 120 slim fan I know of (and if you like RGB, you get it on top as a bonus).

Also I'd suggest getting the AXP120-X67, as - at least the S400 V2 - supports CPU coolers of up to 67 mm height.

A PCIe 3.0 x16 riser cable is supplied together with the case. You can install a 25 mm together with a up to 16 mm thin fan, but its not really worth it - in my tests there was no difference in cooling performance, even when I stuffed my Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 OC inside.

I strongly suggest getting a fan extension cable though, because plugging in anything is seriously challenging as soon as you've installed the mainboard, at least if any of the fan connectors are located on the top = then bottom of the mainboard (the mb is installed upside down, with the PCIe slot to the top of the case).

If you get fans by Noctua, normally you'd also get both a Y fan splitter and an extension cable, which one would normally have to purchase separately. Scythe Kaze Flex 120 also get delivered with fan extension cables, but not with an additional Y splitter.

If you're in Europe, geizhals would be a good price comparison / supplier / dealer list tool.
I tend to buy at Mindfactory, Alternate and Caseking, and only after that at Amazon, but thats just my preferences.

cu, w0lf.
thank you, sincerely.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch