Concept Idea Dump #1 (click on this)

Which is the most interesting mATX case?

• 16.6L tower with SFX-L PSU and 120mm/140mm rad or AIO support.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 17.5L "shoebox" with SFX-L PSU and 280mm AIO/rad support with a custom loop.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • ~20L pseudo NCASE M1 with SFX-L PSU and 360mm AIO/rad support with a custom loop.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 23.5L tower with max size SFX-L PSU support and 420mm/360mm AIO or complete custom loop with rad.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
So I'm new to SFF.N, but I have big mATX case ideas and would like to pursue the most interesting idea to this website. PS: all these cases support rads with 30mm thickness, 25mm fan thickness, and SFX-L PSUs up to 125mm long (except last)

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
Terms of the win: I will focus my attention on the winning case design, and may potentially downscale for mITX and or upscale to ATX.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
mATX is not a very well loved option. While there are a few manufacturers that still produce good mATX boards, they don't get the same level of attention as ITX.

If I were you, I would look at making an ITX optimized case that can trade radiator space for mATX compatibility (or something along those lines). The LianLi 011 mini comes to mind..... an SFF version of that would be cool.

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
mATX is not a very well loved option. While there are a few manufacturers that still produce good mATX boards, they don't get the same level of attention as ITX.

If I were you, I would look at making an ITX optimized case that can trade radiator space for mATX compatibility (or something along those lines). The LianLi 011 mini comes to mind..... an SFF version of that would be cool.
This doesn't sound like a bad idea, I have to admit, but time isn't on my side, and mATX, due to less attention, is dirt cheap, even for quality components. I'm planning on making a 1500$ 5600X+3070(TI) build. I'll consider the idea at least.

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
Just be wary of terms like "Pseudo NCase M1" - cloning a favourite product of the community tends to start a fire :p
I do get that, but I'll also give more continuity to the cases to quench any fires that may start.
First Case has the rad parallel to the mobo, behind a front mounted psu, fan facing forward.
Second Case is wider, but shorter to accommodate a 280mm rad with 30mm thickness and 25mm fan thickness on top of the psu on the left panel.
Third Case is the same thickness and height as the first, just longer and psu mounted in front, fan facing to the right or left.
Finally, the Fourth Case is essentially a longer version of the Third Case, designed entirely for the Arctic LF 2 420mm AIO.

Reactions: confusis

sunefred

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 9, 2021
My dream case would be a dual-chamber (such as a Ghost S1), but purpose built for water cooling. Purpose built for water cooling could include the following:

1. Separator wall has a built a built in distro-plate
2. Dedicated spot for D5/DDC pump in distro plate below PSU.
3. Great radiator support at the top, maybe even 280mm

(2) would be a real nut to crack. Personally I would not mind to have it sticking out on the GPU, sacrificing GPU combability, but I think I am very alone in this.

Reactions: mwal

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
I do get that, but I'll also give more continuity to the cases to quench any fires that may start.
First Case has the rad parallel to the mobo, behind a front mounted psu, fan facing forward. 120mm slim (13mm to 18mm) fans can be mounted up top and bottom.
Second Case is wider, but shorter to accommodate a 280mm rad with 30mm thickness and 25mm fan thickness on top of the psu on the left panel. The case also features a handle.

Third Case is the same thickness and height as the first, just longer and psu mounted in front, fan facing to the right or left.

Finally, the Fourth Case is essentially a longer version of the Third Case, designed entirely for the Arctic LF 2 420mm AIO.

My dream case would be a dual-chamber (such as a Ghost S1), but purpose built for water cooling. Purpose built for water cooling could include the following:

1. Separator wall has a built a built in distro-plate
2. Dedicated spot for D5/DDC pump in distro plate below PSU.
3. Great radiator support at the top, maybe even 280mm

(2) would be a real nut to crack. Personally I would not mind to have it sticking out on the GPU, sacrificing GPU combability, but I think I am very alone in this.
Might not be impossible with additional case building resources and people. Most water cooled gpus are single slot. If not, fan exhaust locations on gpus might be a problem.

Last edited:

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
Well as it turns out, cases that support mATX also have to support ITX, as the top left 4 screws support ITX by nature. Oh well🤷‍♂️.

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
This poll has concluded with the shoebox being top. However I have various ways to make these cases much smaller. So, stick around for number two.