I burned myself...FOR SCIENCE!!!

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
...and because I'm stupid sometimes...

Before I begin, could someone remind which screws hold the hard drive cage to the side case bracket? Not the hard drives, the actual cage.

So today I took my NCASE M1 and converted it to air from AIO. I used the same fan set up I had when I was running a 6700K (OC to 4.6) and a 980ti blower model. The big difference is that I'm now running an 8086K (stock with XMP enabled), and a 2080 Founders Edition.

For cooling, I put the Cryorig C1 with a Noctua NF-A12 at 1200 to 1500 RPM on it. I also put a second NF-A12 at the same speed directly above as an intake. Very quiet, and stock temps were in the mid 70s with Prime95 Small AVX. The XMP temps, with 125 Watt thermal limit was in the mid 80s under the same load. Boost clocks were 3.9GHZ under Prime95 small AVX stock, and 4.1 GHZ under the same load XMP.

EDIT: I was able to adjust the CPU core ratios to be stable with 4.6GHZ all core OC. Prime AVX was 90C. Fans at 100% with low noise adapter installed.

For comparison, the NZXT X52 with the same exact fans (literally) as intakes could do 5GHZ with a -4AVX offset at 1.3V and a 150 watt TDP limit at about 88C Prime Small AVX. I also had an exhaust Noctua 92x15mm fan at half speed on the back.

Part of the reason I did this is I THOUGHT the AIO was making bubbling noises due to the placement. I was completely wrong. It turned out to be capacitor clicking on the RTX 2080 FE. Nothing I can do about that.

So the CPU, at stock speeds with XMP was fine.

The GPU was a completely different story.

The 2080FE dumps hot air back into the case unlike my old 980TI which pushed it out the back. After 15 minutes of gaming (Star wars Battlefront 2 at 4K), the GPU had throttled itself after hitting 87C, and the case was TOO HOT TO TOUCH. The hard drive in the cage was sitting at over 60C, and my 2.5 SSD was even worse. I pulled the side panels off and, like an idiot, reach inside the case to double heck the cables were attached. In the process, my hand hit the back plate of the 2080FE, and I actually got burned. Nothing too major, but I have a pair of blisters on my finger tips, and the rest of the hand is still aching.

For comparison, when I'm running the AIO, I also run a single 92mm exhaust fan. Under the GPUs I run two slow and quiet 120mm noiseblocker fans to help with cooling. Typically the 2080FE will sit at 2GHZ all day long at 75 to 80C.

So the moral of the story is....aside from I'm an idiot.... If you're building in an NCASE M1, and you're not using a blower card, have an exhaust, and some GPU intakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Maniac

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Damn that is crazy. In those situation probably best to go custom loop?

You could, but I don't think it's necessary. What I think it shows is that you really need an exhaust fan once you try to put a non-blower gpu in the NCASE. It also shows that the 2080 FE is really, really hot without exhaust ventilation.

Even a quiet 92mm fan on the back helps a lot with the temps.

I'm going to switch back to the X52 now that I know it's not the problem.