Noctua A12-x15 PWM Fans in Bottom Mounts

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I just wanted to give everyone a little info I collected tonight. I have a Version 2 M1 with a 6700K and EVGA 980ti (reference blower design). Using the EVGA quiet preset for fan speed, I would see boost clocks top out at about 1300 mhz or just below in gaming. I decided to use the bottom two 120mm fan mounts to see if I could push a bit more air into the system.

I loaded up two NF-A12x15 PWM fans and set the BIOS PWM preset to silence. Playing the same games, same levels, I am now seeing boost clock on my 980TI hitting a rock solid 1450 mhz with a reduction of noise. Temps have dropped from a software capped 86C to about 81C in extended play.

Previously, I could hit 1450MHZ boost with a 80% fan speed on the GPU, but it sounded like a dustbuster.

Well worth the investment, and the fans are extremely high quality.

Reactions: owliwar

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Agreed on this one. I removed the fans and shroud from my Sapphire Toxic R9-270X and ran it "passive" with two A12x15 fans on the bottom and the card maxed out at the same temperatures it would with the original GPU cooler!

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I actually didn't remove the stock cooler, but I'm thinking of doing what you did.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Would something like this work by removing the shroud on a blower style Vega card?

Can only the thin 15mm Nocutas fit, or the full size 25mm Noctuas?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Would something like this work by removing the shroud on a blower style Vega card?

Can only the thin 15mm Nocutas fit, or the full size 25mm Noctuas?

If you want really good GPU cooling in the Ncase get an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III and 2X120mm fans exhausting out the bottom.

25mm fans fit with dual slot cards.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Using the fans to intake and push air against a shroud-less GPU: should I get Noctua fans that prioritize airflow or static pressure?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Using the fans to intake and push air against a shroud-less GPU: should I get Noctua fans that prioritize airflow or static pressure?

That is what the Vega looks like with the shroud removed. It is designed for the fan to be at the end and blow through the heatsink, which as you can see is closed on the side. If you remove the shroud you will no longer have the rear fan and the bottom fans would be blowing on the closed heatsink. I don't think it would cool it very well.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
This^

The bottom mounted fan/shroudless GPU "hack" only works with aftermarket style coolers that have the fins in the right orientation.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for sharing the photo of the Vega with the shroud removed. Wasn't expecting that 'top plate' on the heatsink, figured there would still be exposed fins. That design doesn't look good for removing the blower fan.

Ok, now I just need an aftermarket cooler to come out for Vega.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks for sharing the photo of the Vega with the shroud removed. Wasn't expecting that 'top plate' on the heatsink, figured there would still be exposed fins. That design doesn't look good for removing the blower fan.

Ok, now I just need an aftermarket cooler to come out for Vega.

This guy shows how to mount a RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS II CORE EDITION on the Vega. I have seen this used in the Ncase before and it will fit using 15mm fans.

I found someone that has done this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

This guy shows how to mount a RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS II CORE EDITION on the Vega. I have seen this used in the Ncase before and it will fit using 15mm fans.

I found someone that has done this.

Wow thanks for the detailed response. It looks lie that user hasn't been active on the Overclockers thread for a while, but lots of other users have done the same heatsink replacement. Looks like I got a lot of reading material!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Well, I did it. Ordered a Morpheus 2 (silver), x2 Noctua 15mm fans, the VGA-PMW adapter, and some thermal compound.

Mod will be taking place on Friday. I hope not to f-up the GPU!

Any tips on removing the old cooler? Do I need a heat gun or anything?

Reactions: BrotherStein

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Well, I did it. Ordered a Morpheus 2 (silver), x2 Noctua 15mm fans, the VGA-PMW adapter, and some thermal compound.

Mod will be taking place on Friday. I hope not to f-up the GPU!

Any tips on removing the old cooler? Do I need a heat gun or anything?

I think that video shows it just popping off. I don't think you need a heat gun. The shroud and heatsink are kept on by the screws and mount. Clean the old thermal compound with alcohol, and you should be good. Let us know how it goes! I'm thinking about doing this for my old GTX 770 since it's way out of warranty.

EDIT: I would also be interested in know the depth? (width?) of the card after the cooler and fans are on. Thanks!

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Question is do you want to have the Rajintek Morpheus with slim fans or Arctic Accelero with normal thick fans?

The Rajintek cooler looks better and is rated for 70w more, but slim fans really can't compare with normal sized ones when it comes to performance.

I have the latter on my 980 ti and in Heaven benchmark with 1450mhz/4000mhz i'm at 73c with my Silent Wings 3 running at around 1000rpm (barely audible). Torture testing with Furmark @720p windowed and no AA, i reach 80c with fans at 1400rpm (max), but then again the card is pulling around 370w. Note that I have my fans running exhaust. I tried both intake and exhaust and there was no real difference GPU wise. Systemwise bottom instake severly heated up the rest of my system.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Question is do you want to have the Rajintek Morpheus with slim fans or Arctic Accelero with normal thick fans?

The Rajintek cooler looks better and is rated for 70w more, but slim fans really can't compare with normal sized ones when it comes to performance.

I have the latter on my 980 ti and in Heaven benchmark with 1450mhz/4000mhz i'm at 73c with my Silent Wings 3 running at around 1000rpm (barely audible). Torture testing with Furmark @720p windowed and no AA, i reach 80c with fans at 1400rpm (max), but then again the card is pulling around 370w. Note that I have my fans running exhaust. I tried both intake and exhaust and there was no real difference GPU wise. Systemwise bottom instake severly heated up the rest of my system.

I already bought and finished my install of the Morpheus, and I don't think the Arctic Accelero works on Vega. Good looking Ncase though :)