How to get Windows 10 Product Key from my build?

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I've lost my Windows 10 Product Key during a move & need to retrieve it from the pc I built. I've tried searching YT & google without much success, most information is on how to locate on store bought pc's. Anyone with a step by step or a link would be helpful . TIA-Jp

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
how did you purchase your key?
From NewEgg on a USB Flashdrive. I just found a YT video about contacting the vendor directly, said they could help with the product key since they are the vendor. NewEgg isn't available on weekends, will contact them on Monday. I signed in to my Microsoft acct as well but it told me the same thing. I entered (wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey" in my Command Prompt but that didn't work.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
It often doesn't work if you bought your own key, contacting newegg might be your best bet indeed.

Or try to find the piece of paper that came with the flashdrive that has the code on it.

Reactions: Jp42nca

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I had a similar problem recently, and there are a couple of ways to find your Win 10 key.
One involves a hunt in your registry, a quick search will find a couple of methods to do it safely.

Something like this:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/3-simple-ways-to-find-your-windows-10-product-key/

I also used a seemingly more sketchy solution to retrieving a lost photoshop Elements key, and that is using Belarc free software.
It did a complete scan of the PC and retrieved a bucket load of info including the Win 10 key and the required photoshop key.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
It often doesn't work if you bought your own key, contacting newegg might be your best bet indeed.

Or try to find the piece of paper that came with the flashdrive that has the code on it.
I'm hoping NewEgg can help, seems like my only option. As for that piece of paper that's a lost cause. Monday will tell the tale. Thanks for your help.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I had a similar problem recently, and there are a couple of ways to find your Win 10 key.
One involves a hunt in your registry, a quick search will find a couple of methods to do it safely.

Something like this:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/3-simple-ways-to-find-your-windows-10-product-key/

I also used a seemingly more sketchy solution to retrieving a lost photoshop Elements key, and that is using Belarc free software.
It did a complete scan of the PC and retrieved a bucket load of info including the Win 10 key and the required photoshop key.
I can't thank you enough. I got into the registry & now I have it. Definitely going to save that article for sure. Really appreciate your help-Jp

Reactions: rfarmer

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020

Something like this:

I'm still going to contact NewEgg to verify it is the correct number.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I'm still going to contact NewEgg to verify it is the correct number.
Follow Up...It didn't work. I went on the pc I built for my wife and went into the registry, the number was the same. Damn I thought I had it. Thanks for helping me try-Jp

Reactions: Arboreal

SandyBridge

Case Bender
New User
Jan 9, 2023
It depends on the way you've got the key. if our source wasn't very safe, it is better just to get the new key. If your older key is very important for you, there's still something you can do, but it can be a bit dangerous, so just be careful to not download some virus.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
It depends on the way you've got the key. if our source wasn't very safe, it is better just to get the new key. If your older key is very important for you, there's still something you can do, but it can be a bit dangerous, so just be careful to not download some virus.
Thanks for the info. As for importance it's just something I've been working on for awhile now. Don't need it at the moment just would like to have it in the event I do need it. I'm the kinda person that just keeps digging in hopes I'll figure it out. I hate running into a wall and can't get through it.

SandyBridge

Case Bender
New User
Jan 9, 2023
I suggest you check the windows 10 reddit key guide as it has all the information about getting a key. I hope it helps you, though it is more about getting a new key. I used it to avoid purchasing the licensed key, as it was a bit expensive. Anyway, keep us updated about it.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Just an update on the Windows 10 Product Key...I contacted NewEgg and they couldn't help me either. Said they didn't have the key and to contact Microsoft. I am putting it to bed. To much time wasted on this I can't get back. Long story short...DON'T EVER MISPLACE YOUR KEY!!! Thanks to all for your help on this matter.

Moliket

Case Bender
New User
May 12, 2023
Losing a Windows 10 product key can be frustrating, but don't worry, you can still retrieve it from your PC. While most of the information on the internet is about store-bought PCs, getting the product key from a self-built computer is possible too. One easy way to do it is by using a Windows and Office Activator Download.

Reactions: Jp42nca