Cooling How to cool a Intel i7-8700k?

Ola

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Hi there folks!

I decided to build a almost entirely new computer (last time was 2012) and have been scooping out which parts I would go with for a while now.
See build list beneath:

The case is probably a Dan Case A4 SFX ripoff, but at half the price here in my country it was very pricey, at 190 USD whereas the Dan Case costs about 335 USD.

Now, to the issue at hand, I decided to go with a Intel i7-8700K and the chassi allows a CPU cooler with a height up to 54mm (2,12 inches) and I've read a couple of articles that a Noctua NH-L9i is sufficient. So I ordered my parts, and are waiting for them to arrive in the near future.

But as I read more about the 8700K processor I realized that it gets very hot, and Noctua themselves doesn't recommend the cooler to use with the processor.

Other sites recommend the Cryorig C7 (even if it's noisy).

What are your thoughts, ideas and experiences?

I'm thinking of delidding the processor as well, and put Conductonaut on.

/Thanks for input!

And for more info on the chassi:

Reactions: br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
For a cpu height that limiting you're best off using a non-k cpu, but since you've already got the 8700k you should definitely start with a delid and liquid metal.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
I haven't recieved the processor yet, but I've gotten a confirmed delivery.

Guess it isn't impossible to return it and swap for a non K processor?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I haven't recieved the processor yet, but I've gotten a confirmed delivery.

Guess it isn't impossible to return it and swap for a non K processor?

A regular 8700 cannot be a 8700K, but a 8700K can be a 8700.

Just reduce voltage and reduce multiplier. It is an unlocked processor after all. if you run it at 3.5Ghz, it can be as low as 50W.

Ola

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
A regular 8700 cannot be a 8700K, but a 8700K can be a 8700.

Just reduce voltage and reduce multiplier. It is an unlocked processor after all. if you run it at 3.5Ghz, it can be as low as 50W.

Good point! I'm wondering if I should still delid the processor, seems to do wonders on the temps.

Ola

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Wanted to show you guys how it turned out. Got myself the C7 as a CPU Cooler, and bought a Noctua slim 120mm fan, thinking I could put it in there, but the height of the RAM stopped me.

Also the fan at the top is a 80mm, but I ordered the fans before I got the case, and didn't realize it was a slim fan up top as well, and I haven't seen Noctua 80mm slim fans...

Have had some issues with Windows (constant microfreezes every other minute) and Google Chrome won't work even though I change the DNS...

Other than that it works fine, got 2 sticks of m.2 SSDs, one Samsung 970 EVO 500GB as a system drive, and a WD Blue 1TB as a gaming SSD, and ordered two new Seagate Barracuda 2TB slim versions (7mm height) which are the same size as a 2,5" SSD. I thought that I could cram in my 3,5" 4TB HDD somewhere, but nowhere near enough space. Beneath the chassi there is a sled with space for 2 2,5" slim drives.

Other specs, Corsair SFF600W, Intel i7 8700K (haven't played any demanding games yet or tried stressing it, temps looks fine) 16GB G.skill 3200Mhz RAM, ROG Strix Z370-i Gaming motherboard, and a 1080 GTX Founders Edition I had since it was released.

Reactions: loader963