SFF.Network Red flags are waving as Intel reveals their Core-X prices.

Hot off the press, direct from Videocardz.com, we now know what the world looks like when AMD provides healthy competition in the market.
For the price of Intel's last-gen 3.7GHz 8-core processor (i7-6900k), you will soon be able to scoop up Intel's latest 4.5GHz 10-core processor. Impressive! ...or is it?

Read more here.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Anandtech goes through the intel annoucement here

EDIT: They almost halved the price on the new 8-Core unit. (6900K: $1089-$1109; 7820X: $599) Thanks AMD!
EDITx2: I might look out for secondhand 6900K CPU listings soon though.

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
haha, I love your new avatar @VegetableStu

Admittedly, our article errors more on the pessimistic side although we welcome the competitive pricing.
It will be interesting to see if Intel's design changes will have a negative impact, or no impact at all, when the official reviews go live.

The key takeways here are:
- At first glance, it appears that Intel has cut a few corners/specs to save money.
- AMD's R5 1600x offers extremely competitive performance to Intel's i9-7800X but offers much better price: performance.
- For the first time, Intel is not using soldered IHS on their HEDT platform processors.

All over the net, armchair enthusiasts are crying fowl and the Cinebench R15 benchmark results DER8AUER posted certainly don't help.

Hopefully Intel knows what they are doing and will answer with results.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So, I was sipping the X299 / i9 Kool-Aid HARD earlier...

See https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/thoughts-towards-ultimate-sff-x299-build.2266/...

But all I need to get back on the Ryzen / Vega bandwagon is some news of an ITX-sized version of RX Vega...

We shall call it, Nano...!

US$1,700.00 should get one a pretty good build:

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac MB
AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.0GHz stock clock rate / 3.7GHz turbo clock rate / 65W TDP)
AMD Wraith Spire CPU cooler (the LED-enabled version that is included with the CPU / rated for a 95W TDP / 92mm x 25mm PWM fan)
32GB G.Skill RAM (DDR4 / 2 @ 16GB DIMMs / 3200 / CAS 14)
Samsung 960 EVO SSD (1TB / M.2 / 2280 / PCIe 3.0 x4 / NVMe)
RX Vega Nano GPU (ITX-sized / 8-pin / 8GB HBM2)

Assuming BIOS updates that allow more RAM to work properly & at speed, & hoping for GTX 1080 level performance for a slightly less than GTX 1080 price (say US$450.00) from the (as yet) hypothetical) RX Vega Nano GPU...!?!

I am basing the RX Vega Nano being at the GTX 1080 level of performance off of the R9 Fury Nano being at the GTX 980 level of performance...

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm so happy of my choice of R7 1700X for my Cerberus-X build!

Those skylake-X are a joke for my point of view due to their price, but mostly due to the fast they won't have soldered cap/ihs....

And we don't know yet prices for X299 boards...

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'll be looking closely at single-threaded performance. While performance beyond 4 threads may be valuable in the future (we've heard that several times over the last decade, and it's failed to come about each time), I don't run Cinebench or encode video so adding more cores isn't a great draw for me. A shootout between the i7-7740X and i9-7820X mainly boils down to PCIe lane availability (and how many extra m.2 slots beyond 1 on the PCH I might use), whether the KBL-X dies have an advantage in SP IPC, and maybe availability of ECC SODIMMs (which KBL-X cannot use). Maaaaaybe look at one of the HCC die options if they offer anything special (the cache shuffling) and don't take a hit to Turboboost frequency, but probably not worth the expense.

::EDIT:: Or a LGA2066 Xeon, depending on availability and price. With the prices on SKY-X slashed, probably not.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
not necessarly as it should stay on AM4 size.

But question is : will there be any mini itx X399 motherboard.

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
not necessarly as it should stay on AM4 size.
Not quite!

Reactions: VegetableStu
I

Ionrent

- For the first time, Intel is not using soldered IHS on their HEDT platform processors.
This is really lame and if it's anything like the i7-7700K it means voiding your warranty just to have reasonable temperatures.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
It's a technical challenge sure
and I can't imagine the return on investment will be anything to write home about
but if anyone will take it on my money's with ASRock!

Reactions: cmyk78