How many 2.5" SSDs with a 240mm AIO?

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
Hi everyone. Currently I've got a Dan A4 case that is air cooled (Noctua NH-L9a). I'm also running 3x 2.5" SSDs (2TB, 2TB, 1TB) in addition to a 500gb m.2 for my primary drive. In the Dan A4 I can load 2 of the SSDs in the drive caddy at the bottom of the case and the 3rd drive is sandwiched between the front of the frame and the metal enclosure cover. Everything fits just right.

I'd like to pick up an N1 case when the next batch is available. I have a Ryzen 3700x CPU (stock settings) that I'd like to swap from my Dan A4 for improved cooling reasons, but I'm trying to sort out what my limitations are between cooling and how that impacts my SSD mounting options.

I was initially thinking of the Kraken X53 240mm AIO and mounting the radiator on the side panel, but I think that would prevent use of the 2.5" drive tray. Air cooling options may allow for more room for storage mounting options, but I'm not sure what I would sacrifice for temps on the 3700x. I don't want to resort to external drive caddies for the SSDs and I really would rather not consolidate 2x 2TB SSDs into a single 4TB drive due to the cost involved with that solution.

I looked at the M1 user manual online and tried to check various photos and videos online, but I haven't been able to find exactly the answer I'm looking for.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think, it will be 3.

2 on the ODD bracket.

1 on the inside front. (depending on the length of your 240)

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
Thank you for your reply. This is immensely helpful!

So, it seems the ODD bracket solution on the front side of the case would not interfere with mounting of a single drive on the inside of the case.

It looks like the AIO in the photo is this one from LEPA. According to the specs on their website, the radiator is 274mm in length. The NZXT website says the Kraken X53 radiator is 275mm in length. So, I'm hoping that extra 1mm is a non-issue.

Zefiris42

Case Bender
New User
Jan 30, 2019
Just thought I would chime in. I have a Kraken X52 and have 2 SSDs on the inside front and 1 on the outside front in the ODD area.

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
Just thought I would chime in. I have a Kraken X52 and have 2 SSDs on the inside front and 1 on the outside front in the ODD area.

Thanks for that info. It's nice to hear (since my Kraken X53 240mm showed up from Amazon today!). Are the two drives mounted inside in dedicated mounting locations or did you rig them in DIY type way?