How could I test different fans and positions before cutting my case?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, so this maybe should be in modding (or my project thread)? I don't know where this thread belongs.

In my particular build, I'm going to be cutting a vent (or a mounting point) for a fan above my CPU in the Logic Supply MC600. I'm hoping to try out a few different heatsinks, but I definitely want to use any fan I can other than a beige Noctua fan. Now, because I'm mounting the fan 'wherever and however' I want, I'm not limited to the size fan that's normally paired with whatever heatsink I settle on.

However... the only way I can think to test the fan is to actually cut a hole in my case. Say a 120mm hole directly over the CPU/heatsink. Then, if I'm not happy with 120mm fans I cut a 140mm hole and test 140mm fans... but then if they do worse than 120mm fans I need a new top panel (or an eyesore adapter?) to go back. And what's more, I can't see if offsetting the fan (moving the center dead zone?) affects cooling performance.

Is there any way to rig up a 'jig'? that would let me consistently test fans at a given placement, and possibly mock-up the blocked circulation of my top panel?

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Hey, so this maybe should be in modding (or my project thread)? I don't know where this thread belongs.

In my particular build, I'm going to be cutting a vent (or a mounting point) for a fan above my CPU in the Logic Supply MC600. I'm hoping to try out a few different heatsinks, but I definitely want to use any fan I can other than a beige Noctua fan. Now, because I'm mounting the fan 'wherever and however' I want, I'm not limited to the size fan that's normally paired with whatever heatsink I settle on.

However... the only way I can think to test the fan is to actually cut a hole in my case. Say a 120mm hole directly over the CPU/heatsink. Then, if I'm not happy with 120mm fans I cut a 140mm hole and test 140mm fans... but then if they do worse than 120mm fans I need a new top panel (or an eyesore adapter?) to go back. And what's more, I can't see if offsetting the fan (moving the center dead zone?) affects cooling performance.

Is there any way to rig up a 'jig'? that would let me consistently test fans at a given placement, and possibly mock-up the blocked circulation of my top panel?
Buy a 3mm piece of MDF. Use it as a replacement for that panel. You can then cut that. Use tape to stick it to the side.