Horizontal vs Vertical Cases. What's Your Preference?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
This is a very general question.
Suppose you were given two functionally and visually identical PC cases. One is meant to be set up such that its longest side is laid horizontally, and the other case, vertically.

Which case orientation do you prefer? Would you prefer the vertical case because it takes up less desk space, or would you prefer the horizontal case for some other reason?

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I like vertical better.

It has overall smaller footprint and the ones I know of looks like a nice peace of furniture (debatable).

I was also going to comment on the easiness of reaching the computers "back" i/o, but it really depends on where you like your case to sit.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I would want flexibility for both: vertical for space saving and for carrying, horizontal for monitor stand and stability.

Or the case upside down ;)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
That's an interesting point. Depending on the setup, it may be more difficult to reach around to the back of either a tall or long case.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I would want flexibility for both: vertical for space saving and for carrying, horizontal for monitor stand and stability.

Or the case upside down ;)
What a coincidence! I have a case that does all 3 of those things ;)

Reactions: el01

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Vertical.
Preferably tall and slender (something like Phanteks' Evolv Shift) with good airflow (no watercooling).

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I’m with Elon on this one.

“Boeing just took $20 billion and 10 years to improve the efficiency of their planes by 10 percent. That's pretty lame. I have a design in mind for a vertical liftoff supersonic jet that would be a really big improvement.”

Elon Musk

Horizontal= lame. Vertical = really big improvement. XD

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Depends on the aspect ratio. I find long skinny cases look better horizontal (and in my use case would serve as a HTPC in a media center) while more traditional computer shapes and cubes look better in a vertical setup (NCase M1 for example).

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Agree that proportions play a large part. I still run the S4M vertically next to my tv for Htpc/couch gaming out of preference. Looks really good on either orientation though.