Here is My DA2 build my first ITX

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Testing temperatures for 10 hours is uneccesary - bubbl3 did not ask you to do that.

You test until you reach a steady temperature. Depending on your cooling setup, this can take an hour or longer. 15 minutes is normally not long enough.

I can run aida64 in the morning to check my temperatures, but i think they will be similar. My cooling is better, but my CPU is at 4.9Ghz, 1.34V, AVX offset = 0 and I still have all my filters installed.

Reactions: omnikron

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
If you insist, I'll indulge :)

You are showing a test that has been stopped and the CPU is already more than 10C cooler than when it was running, is even visible from the graph:

Your max temp is very close to 80C (with peaks over it) and way over 70C as I preditected:

People has that CPU at 75C with 1.36v and a 5GHz OC, so yes, your temps are high.

RAM wise, you are mechanically stressing your DIMMs for no valid reason, it's not a wise choice.

If you are happy with your build, good for you, but my points stand.
it ran at auto setting for voltage and for 8 hrs its gonna get hot temps still under 80 after 8 hrs of stress test with 4.5 oc and auto cpu voltage if i used lower cpu voltage temps would be lower ram dimms arent stressed enough to cause any harm to the dimms or ram sticks they look like it but they are fine.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Testing temperatures for 10 hours is uneccesary - bubbl3 did not ask you to do that.

You test until you reach a steady temperature. Depending on your cooling setup, this can take an hour or longer. 15 minutes is normally not long enough.

I can run aida64 in the morning to check my temperatures, but i think they will be similar. My cooling is better, but my CPU is at 4.9Ghz, 1.34V, AVX offset = 0 and I still have all my filters installed.
I didnt mean to I fell alseep lol woke and it was still running I havent touch the cpu voltage or avx offset im trying to find a good balance of silent and power
what cpu are you using ?

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
If you insist, I'll indulge :)

You are showing a test that has been stopped and the CPU is already more than 10C cooler than when it was running, is even visible from the graph:

Your max temp is very close to 80C (with peaks over it) and way over 70C as I preditected:

People has that CPU at 75C with 1.36v and a 5GHz OC, so yes, your temps are high.

RAM wise, you are mechanically stressing your DIMMs for no valid reason, it's not a wise choice.

If you are happy with your build, good for you, but my points stand.
I had just stopped it as I fell asleep it ran overnight that temp of 75C with 1.36v @ 5ghz is that a build in the DA2?
I haven't messed with cpu voltage its was left at auto
I dont hit these temps when gaming

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I had just stopped it as I fell asleep it ran overnight that temp of 75C with 1.36v @ 5ghz is that a build in the DA2?
I haven't messed with cpu voltage its was left at auto
I dont hit these temps when gaming
Not in the DA2, that's the point, that case has bad thermals unless you go custom loop, I even had a dual AIO in there, with a much hotter CPU (2700X) and could not stay under 78C.

By the way thermals are not exponential that way, they don't go up the longer you do a test, CPUs (and GPUs) will reach a certain temp and then stay stable there, that's your max temp for that specific config, 1h is usually enough. Certain games will stress your CPU more, so it really depends.

My biggest problem there is the mechanical stress on the ram, if it ever fails, it will fail bad. As you said you can't see the dimms, so why insist on using those tall RGB modules, just return them for something with a low profile.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Not in the DA2, that's the point, that case has bad thermals unless you go custom loop, I even had a dual AIO in there, with a much hotter CPU (2700X) and could not stay under 78C.

By the way thermals are not exponential that way, they don't go up the longer you do a test, CPUs (and GPUs) will reach a certain temp and then stay stable there, that's your max temp for that specific config, 1h is usually enough. Certain games will stress your CPU more, so it really depends.

My biggest problem there is the mechanical stress on the ram, if it ever fails, it will fail bad. As you said you can't see the dimms, so why insist on using those tall RGB modules, just return them for something with a low profile.
Well I can see the the rgb threw the case I have corsair lpx 32gb 3000 but the trident is running at 3600 but its only 16gb gonna mess with my cpu volt see if I can get it lower

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019

Well I can see the the rgb threw the case I have corsair lpx 32gb 3000 but the trident is running at 3600 but its only 16gb gonna mess with my cpu volt see if I can get it lower

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
As promised, an aida64 test. Waited until liquid temeperature had stabilised for 15 mins or so.

8700K @ 4.9Ghz
Ambient temperature= 27C

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Yes. pull, intake.

Given that you already have it, I would just go back to the X62.

The dark rock is a good cooler, but not so good as to make up for the clashes with the RAM and the power plug. I have no compatibilty issues with the X62

Reactions: bubbl3

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019

Yes. pull, intake.

Given that you already have it, I would just go back to the X62.

The dark rock is a good cooler, but not so good as to make up for the clashes with the RAM and the power plug. I have no compatibilty issues with the X62
These are my temps @5ghz and 1.367

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019

It helps to have the pump oreintated so that the hoses come out of the left as shown in the picture.

With the radiator have it so that the hoses are on the left side of the case - i.e. the same side of the case as the motherboard, not in front of the PSU. This gives the hoses enough room to bend without kinks. Fan guards are helpful to stop the hoses hitting the fan blades (you can just about see them installed in the picture).

at 8:00 there is a shot of the radiator mounted in the case. That's exactly how i have it.
Are you using the stock nzxt 140 fans that came with the x62 and what fan guards are you using I have a pair of Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin and one of the 90mm Noctua

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I'm now using the 3000RPM Noctua industrial 140mm fans. I wanted more airflow over the VRMs as they were throttling when running prime95 at 5.0Ghz. Not the fault of the case, but of pushing a weak VRM setup. The stock fans were fine otherwise.

Fan guards were just the cheapest on amazon.

That rear 92mm exhaust fan was taken out as it made no difference to temperatures. With the X62 you will only be able to fit a 14mm thick fan. Half the fan is blocked off by the radiator and the hole spacing on the case means not much air is actually exhausted.

For the best CPU temperatures have the fans setup as intake, pull. But for most of us here, the problem is GPU temperatures, so you might also want to try seting up the fans as exhaust, push. Might be worth the tradeoff.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I'm now using the 3000RPM Noctua industrial 140mm fans. I wanted more airflow over the VRMs as they were throttling when running prime95 at 5.0Ghz. Not the fault of the case, but of pushing a weak VRM setup. The stock fans were fine otherwise.

Fan guards were just the cheapest on amazon.

That rear 92mm exhaust fan was taken out as it made no difference to temperatures. With the X62 you will only be able to fit a 14mm thick fan. Half the fan is blocked off by the radiator and the hole spacing on the case means not much air is actually exhausted.

For the best CPU temperatures have the fans setup as intake, pull. But for most of us here, the problem is GPU temperatures, so you might also want to try seting up the fans as exhaust, push. Might be worth the tradeoff.
Thank you have you removed all the filters outta of the case? I have and its makes big diff for the gpu temps its stays high 60s to low 70s and keeps high boost in the high 1900s. I ordered the Noctua 2000rpm should made the jump to 3000 and ordered 2 fan grills should be in by tomorrow. What motherboard are you using? I know you have I7 8700k gonna make the jump to either a 9700k or the 9900K just waiting for intel to make that price drop.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
All filters are still installed, i might remove the bottom filter though. to help the GPU.

Using Asus Z370-I Gaming motherboard.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
All filters are still installed, i might remove the bottom filter though. to help the GPU.

Using Asus Z370-I Gaming motherboard.
Ok installed the x62 with the new noctua 2000rpm fans and some fan grills and I see better temps so happy glad I took your advice in giving the x62 another chance. Here are my new temps cpu @ 5ghz at 1.36 volts

Reactions: rfarmer

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
A few comments and questions:-
a. what is the purpose of using that 4-pin Molex cable from the PSU?
b. what is the idle and gaming temp of the SSD on the back of the motherboard?
c. do you use a DP port of the display card to connect to your monitor? if yes, did you encounter the issue of DP plug not able to fully insert into the card?
d. I see the case's power plug is out of place a bit. Is it because the Dark Rock cooler is having physical conflict with it?
e. I wonder how the temp will be affected if you remove the side panel. If you have time, just do a quick run of some benchmarks and see what CPU and GPU load temp are.
f. I personally am not comfortable of having the memory modules being pushed to such extent. Just my personal thing.
g. Overall nice build!
sorry for the late reply all the filters are removed Im now using x62 aio idel temps are cpu 34c and gpu 36c
gaming load cpu stays 67c and gpu 74c prime95 at high load temp 89c ran for 15min small ftt. this is at no avx offset mce on I have a I9 9900kf now at stock