Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Here is my build
Asrock Z390 itx gaming phantom
16 gb of DDR4 Trident Z rgb 3600
Be Quite!! Dark Rock TF
Corsair sfx 600 watt
EVGA FTW3 1080Ti
I removed all the air filters from the case.
My DA2 build

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A few comments and questions:-
a. what is the purpose of using that 4-pin Molex cable from the PSU?
b. what is the idle and gaming temp of the SSD on the back of the motherboard?
c. do you use a DP port of the display card to connect to your monitor? if yes, did you encounter the issue of DP plug not able to fully insert into the card?
d. I see the case's power plug is out of place a bit. Is it because the Dark Rock cooler is having physical conflict with it?
e. I wonder how the temp will be affected if you remove the side panel. If you have time, just do a quick run of some benchmarks and see what CPU and GPU load temp are.
f. I personally am not comfortable of having the memory modules being pushed to such extent. Just my personal thing.
g. Overall nice build!

Reactions: omnikron

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
c. do you use a DP port of the display card to connect to your monitor? if yes, did you encounter the issue of DP plug not able to fully insert into the card?
d. I see the case's power plug is out of place a bit. Is it because the Dark Rock cooler is having physical conflict with it?
e. I wonder how the temp will be affected if you remove the side panel. If you have time, just do a quick run of some benchmarks and see what CPU and GPU load temp are.
f. I personally am not comfortable of having the memory modules being pushed to such extent. Just my personal thing.
g. Overall nice build!
I dont use a any 4 pin molex cable from the psu
Idle temps for my m.2 ssd western blue are
37c idle and 49c underload avg temp is 40c
now my intel 660p m.2
35c idle and 42c underload avg temp is 37c
The intel M.2 is installed in the back of the case Installed a heatsink on it to help with the temps.
Temps are from HWiNFO64
I use DP from my video card to my monitor no problems
Yes the power plug is like that due to the Dark Rock TF pipes get in the way of the power cable easy fix.
The ram sticks are fine it doesnt effect them at all really not at all that bad.
Temps on motherboard are 39c and underload 55c with avg 43c
Cpu OC to 4.5 and gpu is not OC
fans are set to silent in the bios

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I used a Dark Rock TF previously in my Ncase, it is a really good cooler if you can fit it to your motherboard. I had the same issue with the ram but never had any problems from it.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I used a Dark Rock TF previously in my Ncase, it is a really good cooler if you can fit it to your motherboard. I had the same issue with the ram but never had any problems from it.
I had installed the x62 but was getting strange sounds and it was heating up like a mofo think the tubes were kinked and air bubbles I took it out I always like the way Dark Rock TF looked and went for it damn thing is silent and cools just as good as a AIO without the noise and have room add an extra fan to pull air out.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
g. Overall nice build!
I will tell you that gaming with the panels on temps are good
cpu underload 68c
gpu underload 63c

Last edited:

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Really, as @tinyitx said, I wouldn't be comfortable with the ram being pushed like that long term.

Overall, I understand the challenges of the DA2 (I was an early adopter), it's a case that requires more effort and experience than it would look at first, I would have gone for a different case for your first itx build.
That said, if the temps you report are accurate, that's great, but after me and others extensively tested the case in several configs, I have an hard time believing those temps.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Really, as @tinyitx said, I wouldn't be comfortable with the ram being pushed like that long term.

Overall, I understand the challenges of the DA2 (I was an early adopter), it's a case that requires more effort and experience than it would look at first, I would have gone for a different case for your first itx build.
That said, if the temps you report are accurate, that's great, but after me and others extensively tested the case in several configs, I have an hard time believing those temps.
cpu underload 68c
gpu underload 63c
Those are temps now if my room temps are warmer then my pc temps also due. I keep my house temps 77
I due notice temps on the cpu towards 74c when the room is warmer when cpu its oc to 4.5 gpu stays cool removing all the dust fliter made for better temps . I found the case not hard to build in the rail system makes things easy at least I found them to be just gotta plan out the parts make sure they fit. I will give my x62 another try later on

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I would be curious to know what you mean by under load.

And the ram man, that ram, you can't keep it that way....

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I would be curious to know what you mean by under load.

And the ram man, that ram, you can't keep it that way....
Underload for my is gaming I dont video edit my pc is main point is gaming at high setting @ 3440x1440p and the ram is fine temps are good no problems with it like that its not that stressed in the slot lol I saw another thread where the temps were close to the ones I have ?

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Underload for my is gaming I dont video edit my pc is main point is gaming at high setting @ 3440x1440p and the ram is fine temps are good no problems with it like that its not that stressed in the slot lol I saw another thread where the temps were close to the ones I have ?
I don't think your definition of "Under load" is the one that is shared here and even if fair it will raise some questions like for me (under load for most people testing thermals here is under significant stress), I bet if you were to do an AIDA stress test you would not be under 70C (probably over 80) on CPU.

Ram wise, if this is OK for you, not sure what more can I say, hopefully it won't cause issues.

I could not live with something like this in my system, different standards I guess :)

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I had installed the x62 but was getting strange sounds and it was heating up like a mofo think the tubes were kinked and air bubbles I took it out I always like the way Dark Rock TF looked and went for it damn thing is silent and cools just as good as a AIO without the noise and have room add an extra fan to pull air out.

Still using the NZXT X62 in my DA2 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Have the fans as intake in a pull configuration, which gives a little bit more room for the hoses. Never had a problem with kinking.

By default the fan speed is set against coolant temperature, you can change this in NZXT CAM to CPU temperature instead, which will help to improve CPU temps.

As an alternative you can use the motherboard's CPU fan header and let the motherboard control fan speeds according to fan curves set in the BIOS or in software - this is the approach i took. I've depinned the fan cables from the plug at the pump to reduce cable clutter as I don't use them anymore.

Placing the radiator so that it sits above the height/level of the pump will help to stop air getting trapped in the pump which is probably what is causing the noise, so with the DA2, slide the radiator along the mounting rails as high as it will go. I have a little noise if i haven't used the system in a few weeks, but this goes away after 1-2 minutes.

Reactions: omnikron and bubbl3

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I don't think your definition of "Under load" is the one that is shared here and even if fair it will raise some questions like for me (under load for most people testing thermals here is under significant stress), I bet if you were to do an AIDA stress test you would not be under 70C (probably over 80) on CPU.

Ram wise, if this is OK for you, not sure what more can I say, hopefully it won't cause issues.

I could not live with something like this in my system, different standards I guess :)
I ran aida for 15 min panel on cpu at 4.5
And Ram no issuses running like heck you cant see it lol if it gives me problems I will use the corsair lpx ddr4 32gb 3000 kit

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Still using the NZXT X62 in my DA2 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Have the fans as intake in a pull configuration, which gives a little bit more room for the hoses. Never had a problem with kinking.

By default the fan speed is set against coolant temperature, you can change this in NZXT CAM to CPU temperature instead, which will help to improve CPU temps.

As an alternative you can use the motherboard's CPU fan header and let the motherboard control fan speeds according to fan curves set in the BIOS or in software - this is the approach i took. I've depinned the fan cables from the plug at the pump to reduce cable clutter as I don't use them anymore.

Placing the radiator so that it sits above the height/level of the pump will help to stop air getting trapped in the pump which is probably what is causing the noise, so with the DA2, slide the radiator along the mounting rails as high as it will go. I have a little noise if i haven't used the system in a few weeks, but this goes away after 1-2 minutes.
I wanna give it another go but Im lazy I dont wanna take that Dark Rock TF if the cooling temps arent that much of a diff.
when I had the x62 the fans were set to pull air out.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I ran aida for 15 min panel on cpu at 4.5
And Ram no issuses running like heck you cant see it lol if it gives me problems I will use the corsair lpx ddr4 32gb 3000 kit
15 mins is not much of a test, I can see some jumps to 68 there already, even on liquid cooling the real stable temp is reached in around 1h. If anyway it stays under 70C and noise is acceptable, good for you. Regarding the ram, yes you can't see it, but you know it and as someone else said, that's no way to have ram installed long term. As I said, I guess we have different standards.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I wanna give it another go but Im lazy I dont wanna take that Dark Rock TF if the cooling temps arent that much of a diff.
when I had the x62 the fans were set to pull air out.
Do You have any pic on how the x62 should be mounted ?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Do You have any pic on how the x62 should be mounted ?

It helps to have the pump oreintated so that the hoses come out of the left as shown in the picture.

With the radiator have it so that the hoses are on the left side of the case - i.e. the same side of the case as the motherboard, not in front of the PSU. This gives the hoses enough room to bend without kinks. Fan guards are helpful to stop the hoses hitting the fan blades (you can just about see them installed in the picture).

at 8:00 there is a shot of the radiator mounted in the case. That's exactly how i have it.

Last edited:

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
15 mins is not much of a test, I can see some jumps to 68 there already, even on liquid cooling the real stable temp is reached in around 1h. If anyway it stays under 70C and noise is acceptable, good for you. Regarding the ram, yes you can't see it, but you know it and as someone else said, that's no way to have ram installed long term. As I said, I guess we have different standards.
Ran the Aida for more than 2 hours lets see how bad my temps are? And if they are any issues with my system temp wise or stability with ram I can tell you ran pretty quite fans are set to silent in the asrock bios and ram being installed that way no big deal causes zero issues so far and long term well only time will tell.

Last edited:

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019

It helps to have the pump oreintated so that the hoses come out of the left as shown in the picture.

With the radiator have it so that the hoses are on the left side of the case - i.e. the same side of the case as the motherboard, not in front of the PSU. This gives the hoses enough room to bend without kinks. Fan guards are helpful to stop the hoses hitting the fan blades (you can just about see them installed in the picture).

at 8:00 there is a shot of the radiator mounted in the case. That's exactly how i have it.
Thanks you for the pic and link how are your temps compared to my temps I know they are diff systems

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Ran the Aida for more than 2 hours lets see how bad my temps are? And if they are any issues with my system temp wise or stability with ram I can tell you ran pretty quite fans are set to silent in the asrock bios and ram being installed that way no big deal causes zero issues so far and long term well only time will tell.
If you insist, I'll indulge :)

You are showing a test that has been stopped and the CPU is already more than 10C cooler than when it was running, is even visible from the graph:

Your max temp is very close to 80C (with peaks over it) and way over 70C as I preditected:

People has that CPU at 75C with 1.36v and a 5GHz OC, so yes, your temps are high.

RAM wise, you are mechanically stressing your DIMMs for no valid reason, it's not a wise choice.

If you are happy with your build, good for you, but my points stand.