Streacom DA2 build advice

s7tronic

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Hi there,

First post on the forum :)

I'm looking for some advice on building a PC based around a Streacom DA2. -my current setup is:

• Maximius VII Formula
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • EVGA 1080ti
  • Silverstone strider 1000w PSU
  • Silverstone FT04

Looking to go with the following build:

• ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming LGA1151 Mini ITX
  • Intel Core i7 9700K
  • noctua NH-L9i chromax Black, Low Profile CPU Heatsink 92 mm
  • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz
  • Corsair CSSD-F960GBMP510 Force Series MP510 960 GB NVMe M.2
  • SilverStone SST-SX800-LTI SFX-L Series, 800W 80plus
  • Streacom DA2 Mini ITX Casing ST-DA2S Silver
My usage is mainly gaming & browsing, MS office & some CAD work, current monitor is an acer 34", 3440 x 1440 @ 100hz. I plan to keep the 1080ti for now, don't see the point in going to 2080ti-might hold out for the 3080ti-hopefully it won't involve re-mortgaging the house...:)

Chances are I won't be overclocking the 9700k, however I would like the option to so if I were to change case in future.

So, a few questions:

The RAM I picked, is low profile, will it work with the noctua NH-L9i cooler?

1) I'm open to suggestions on the RAM and the SSD, mainly picked as they are within budget..

2) The PSU I chose as it's modular and well reviewed, anyone with a similar PSU?

Based in Ireland, and plan to buy all parts from amazon.de/UK, the case is from Overclockers.

It's been a while since I built a PC, and haven't been keeping more than a casual eye on current PC components of late, so it would be great if someone could give this the once over.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: roozter

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Welcome :)

Parts list looks good - I won't go into Intel vs AMD here - I expect you'll have looked into reviews and chosen whatever suits your use case best. I don't know how much CAD work you'll be doing and I don't know how it performs on Intel vs AMD.

Few things I would have a look at

I would swap the CPU cooler for a Noctua U9S or C14S. A bit more expensive than the NH-L9i and bigger, but far more capable especially if you want to leave the door open for overclocking. The DA2 can accommodate far bigger coolers than the L9i, so it seems a waste to limit yourself there.

If you want to stick with the L9i, then yes it will fit with the RAM.

The motherboard is a good one, you should be able to find the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac for less money - it's another great board.

I would also swap the SFX-L power supply for a corair 750 SFX unit. Smaller and still more than powerful enough for the components you've chosen. And I think a little cheaper in the UK. Even the 600W platinum would be more than OK here.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/streacom-launches-the-da2.7598/page-37#post-150721 is and example of a great air cooled build. If you haven't yet cast your eye over that thread i would advise you do so.

Reactions: s7tronic

s7tronic

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Welcome :)

Parts list looks good - I won't go into Intel vs AMD here - I expect you'll have looked into reviews and chosen whatever suits your use case best. I don't know how much CAD work you'll be doing and I don't know how it performs on Intel vs AMD.

Few things I would have a look at

I would swap the CPU cooler for a Noctua U9S or C14S. A bit more expensive than the NH-L9i and bigger, but far more capable especially if you want to leave the door open for overclocking. The DA2 can accommodate far bigger coolers than the L9i, so it seems a waste to limit yourself there.

If you want to stick with the L9i, then yes it will fit with the RAM.

The motherboard is a good one, you should be able to find the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac for less money - it's another great board.

I would also swap the SFX-L power supply for a corsair 750 SFX unit. Smaller and still more than powerful enough for the components you've chosen. And I think a little cheaper in the UK. Even the 600W platinum would be more than OK here.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/streacom-launches-the-da2.7598/page-37#post-150721 is and example of a great air cooled build. If you haven't yet cast your eye over that thread i would advise you do so.

Thank you for the feedback, I will have a look at the corsair PSU, and the Asrock board... also plenty of reading that thread to crack on with ?

s7tronic

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
So, I went and ordered:
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming LGA1151 Mini ITX
  • Intel Core i7 9700K
  • noctua NH-C14S
  • Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz
  • Corsair MP510 960 GB NVMe M.2
  • Corsair SF750 80 Plus SF Series 750 W
  • Streacom DA2 Silver
Thanks again for the help brt02. And now...now I play the waiting game. :)

Reactions: roozter and brt02

s7tronic

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
So, the postman done good:

The build went together quite well, however to fit the NH-C14S I had to remove the top dust filter, plan to sort this by modding (chopping holes in..) the filter, but done for now. Deleighted with the build, no noise when idling/browsing, office etc. loading control & metro exodus to see what its like gaming.

Last edited: