Hello World!

Hello folks!

I'm planning on building a PC and I kind of like the idea of having a rather small build. Unfortunately, there are very few PC cases which support an ODD which looks actually nice. (I considered the Fractal Design Define 7 which hides the ODD behind a door when unused, but it's HUGE). That's why I kind of fell in love with the M1.
CPU is going to be AMD; currently more value for smaller price it seems. Also, better upgrade options with the AM4 socket.
GPU is going to be AMD; the main reason for this is that I (and others) have experienced issues with Nvidia on Linux.
Besides that, I aim on reliability and longevity (~10 years) when choosing the components.

I've been looking through some build guides in this forum and I find that this is gold here. This is very valuable information for anyone who wants to build a SFF PC.

A few years ago I built a personal home server/NAS with the ASRock J3455 ITX in a Fractal Design Core 500. The Core 500 was chosen because it fits plenty of hard drives (currently 3 HDDs running in raid 5) and I like it. The server runs a Nextcloud instance on Debian 10. IT also runs SMB/UPnP services for my local network (watching movies and series on TV).

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can't go wrong with the M1, pro choice! :thumb:

I am a Linux user too, and while I also had to struggle with video drivers years ago, all went fine recently on my rigs running Linux Mint 19 and 20. Nvidia cards have been detected and Nvidia drivers proposed and installed without a hitch.

I also have a NAS based on an ASRock J3455-ITX, running Ubuntu Server. Only room for 2 HHDs though on my modded Silverstone SG05 case.
You could have a look at Jellyfin for streaming your media, the J3455 only starts to show its limits with 4K content.