Hello i'm Kevin from the UK

Hello ,im Kevin from the uk i just got an Asus Q87T and i am going to attempt a fully passive build and look forward to any help i can get i think im going to need it :)

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forum!

A fully passive build into a tiny case is going to be challenging, you will have to choose your components wisely!
Have fun, good luck!

Reactions: kcb

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello ,im Kevin from the uk i just got an Asus Q87T and i am going to attempt a fully passive build and look forward to any help i can get i think im going to need it :)

Hi @kcb , welcome to the forum!

I agree with what BaK said previously, passive build is challenging (and at the same time satisfying when done correctly 🙂)

Anyway, please take a moment to read our forum's terms, conditions and rules. It is especially important to read them if you are wanting to buy or sell, as the information you need to gain access to that subforum is all in there.

Also, as part of our community moderation efforts, we don't let new users edit posts or links for a bit, so report your post using the "report" button if you need it deleted/modified (or just post something like "sorry double post above" or "the above post is wrong, here's the updated one:... "). The forum staffs will help you from there.

The report button is also useful if you observe spam or any other suspicious activities going on.

Reactions: kcb

kcb

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Nov 16, 2023
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forum!

A fully passive build into a tiny case is going to be challenging, you will have to choose your components wisely!
Have fun, good luck!
Hi ,yes it is going to be a challenge ,my plan is to build it and get it working with a conventional cooler ,then take it off and start adding a network of heat pipes and heat sinks and find out if its even possible ,i should end up with something usable in the end ,but the main reason im doing it is to learn more about heat and how to get rid of it :)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
If you're only running integrated graphics an i5 or i7 'T' CPU @ 35W will be easier to run passive.
If you're going to uset eth 4x PCIe slot, you'll need a more complex power set up and a lot more cooling capacity.

The Q87T is nice, I had one from when they were really cheap nw and it ran nicely.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi ,yes it is going to be a challenge ,my plan is to build it and get it working with a conventional cooler ,then take it off and start adding a network of heat pipes and heat sinks and find out if its even possible ,i should end up with something usable in the end ,but the main reason im doing it is to learn more about heat and how to get rid of it :)

Also do consider buying a case that's designed exactly for passive cooling. Some brand names I remember are Streacom & HDPlex.