Hello all!

Found this forum from browsing Reddit's subforum r/sffpc. My SFF pc is a little bit bigger than what I see here - a Cooler Master Elite 130, but I am looking to reduce further. Below are recent pics:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690S 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor - Upgraded from an i3
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler w/ Noctua 92 mm push & Prolimatech 120mm slim pull
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card - Upgraded from an GTX 970
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case - replaced side 80mm with Prolimatech 120mm slim fan
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX PSU - Upgraded from an CS550M

Reactions: LocoMoto

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Neat build!
Hope to see you delve deeper into SFF because those components could easily fit into a smaller case! :D

Reactions: equilni

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
Do you have any temp numbers on your components?

EDIT: And subjective noise results as well.. lol

equilni

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Do you have any temp numbers on your components?

EDIT: And subjective noise results as well.. lol
This before I've turned off the Intel Turbo boost and reduced the GPU temp target to 70 C degrees. Note, CPUZ & HW monitor must have different timings on reading the current clocks... Also, I am not sure the ambient temperature...

This is after the reduction.

MB temps show 37/44C min/max on sensor 0, sensor 2 has 26/43

Subjectively, since the case is a foot or two from me, I can note there is a weird noise from the GTX 1060. I looked into it and it was something to do with the fan. Only happens rarely in demanding games and since reducing the power target in EVGA Precision, I haven't heard it since. I do note the SF450 fan has never ran, while I was observing it. If it goes on, it must be very quiet. All other fans are at a low hum.

Reactions: LocoMoto

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Was it a high-pitched sound ? It might be coil whine, which is often triggered in menus or loading screens without a frame rate limit or V-sync enabled.

equilni

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Was it a high-pitched sound ? It might be coil whine, which is often triggered in menus or loading screens without a frame rate limit or V-sync enabled.
No, my GTX 970 had coil whine and this wasn't it. It was a weird noise that also happened when the fans turned on from being at 0rpm if I recall. I kept the fan running and reduced the power/temp target and no more issue for now...

Here is the noise and resolution this person did per EVGA:

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
Interresting..
Are you trying to keep the power consumption pretty low by disabling turbo boost and lowering gpu power target?

The video you showed there sounded somewhat like an spark from a spark plug lol

equilni

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Interresting..
Are you trying to keep the power consumption pretty low by disabling turbo boost and lowering gpu power target?
Also, reduced power would mean lower temperatures, even slightly. I am still testing this configuration out, but so far I put it put it back to default (Turbo on, Power target back to normal), since it wasn't making too much of a difference.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

You may try disabling the CPU's onboard video, I've heard it can reduce power consumption slightly.

equilni

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Welcome to the forum!

You may try disabling the CPU's onboard video, I've heard it can reduce power consumption slightly.
I didn't test, but it was enabled when I installed my 1060. Valley was reporting both Intel & Nvidia on the benchmark and I got confused. I forgot I resettedthe BIOS when I upgraded from the i3 to the i5, but forgot about this option afterwards. It is now disabled.