- TDP Extension Kit
- Asus ROG Strix B660-I
- Intel I5 13600k
- DDR4 5600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance
- 3x Corsair MP600 Pro NH 8TB Gen 4 SSD
- 2x 1 TB some random ssds
- Meanwell RPS-400-24C 400W AC to DC
- HDPlex 400W DC to ATX

(Also within the Build is a RPI4 with the PiKVM Kit)

Everything works fine and as expected except for the PSU and MoBo combination.
This is really frustating me at this point and the build procrastinated to almost 2 month now.

With a commercial be quiet PSU the motherboard works normally but:

When I'm connecting the MoBo to the HDPlex PSU the motherboard does not boot and even more curious is that while the PSU is in standby mode (Orange Led) one particular (MOSFET kinda looking) component on the back site of the board is warming up immediately and insanely.

With the really kind help from Larry@HDPlex we tried a new HDPlex unit to exclude any faultiness on my first unit but that didn't make any difference.

I have also measured every voltage from the 24 pin atx connector and did not notice anything out of the order.

The heating thing happens with only the 24pin atx connected.

I've contacted asus but they are only responding in second level answers to use a QVL product which is listed on their site, this is obviously not helping at all.

Trying to search for schematics or the part number on the component and even the description on the silkscreen did not result in any answers.

I have uploaded a picture of the component heating up.

I really thank any kind of help in advance, this is really frustating me at this point. I just want to complete and close this cursed project.

Thank you!
Kind regards.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Did you purchase a power supply tester that checks the powergood circuit and run this On I am Assuming a GAN version of HD Plex, or I am sorry your Meanbad PS with the HDplex converter? Dr Power
Please don't tell me that you are using an ES processor?
You realize the really crappy Intel engineering, that Intel provided for the base spec for the 13th Gen Processor socket retention mechanism bends the processor and board and has been well documented. I had a booting problem with Thermalright contact frame and an engineering sample on an H610T board from Asus but I replaced it with a slower retail processor and it booted fine. Contact frame
I would not be using anything but a contact frame with a 13 gen! Thermal Grizzly or Thermalright 2nd choice.
Asus tech is worthless in this country.

hamses44

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 20, 2023
It's the 400 W not GAN but DC-DC ATX Supply:
PSU

I did test it with a PSU tester at a local store and it was fine.
Also this is the second unit it's unlikely that this occurs twice.

What is an ES processor?
The Contact frame seems to be a nice solution for this issue however even though I could order and install this I don't see this as a solutions since the current setup works with a commercial PSU like the be quiet one.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
ES ENGINEERING SAMPLE. I WOULD SUSPECT THE MEANWELL. NO TEMP INCREASE WITH THE BE QUIET AT THE 3P021?
and I still would not use Intel's (Foxconn) crap retention. You have a thicker PCB on a rog board than a thin itx which you could clearly see the board bend with a Noctua H.S. AND THE FACTORY RETENTION. You could have already cracked a trace which would yield intermittent and unexplainable problems. The only way to test is BURNin SOFTWARE WITH THE BE QUIET AND SEE IF IT FAILS IN 24 HR TEST. FURMARK!!!!

hamses44

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 20, 2023
The Meanwell Ac-DC is just outputting constant 24 volts I don't think this could be doing anything wrong tbh. These 24volts flow into the HDPlex.

And yes it does not happen with the be quiet. With the be quiet everything works as expected.

I've ordered the contact frame from amazon (thought it would be kinda pricy with 50 euros for a metal brick) it will arrive on monday but I really cant think of a way this could be reason.
Thank you!

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
By your comments, it can only be the board. Do a 24 hr stress with the Be Quiet and prove me wrong.
Do have another board, not 13th gen to test the meanwell/hd plex combo? or a friend's machine??