Log Help finding rectangle board picoPSU

cityle

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
I need something really small profile and compact to input 19V and output 12V and 5V. This is for a Gamecube build to supply power to a GPU and not use two power brick, a 12V and a 19V one.

Because of the space constraints, the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX v2 would be the best fit as I could easily close the sense with a latching power switch, use 12V and 5Vs of the 24pin connector to power the GPU riser, and use the 12Vs of the CPU connector to power the GPU. However, finding this specific picoPSU would be kind of a miracle to my understanding.

The use of the HDPLEX 200W could work, but would require important modification to the case, more than I've already done and would be ok with, and would immensely complexify the build and cable management. Is there any alternative for a board-like picoPSU with wide input voltage that is small? Would it be possible to built myself? I'm not finding much for the moment.

Thanks

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I need something really small profile and compact to input 19V and output 12V and 5V. This is for a Gamecube build to supply power to a GPU and not use two power brick, a 12V and a 19V one.

Because of the space constraints, the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX v2 would be the best fit as I could easily close the sense with a latching power switch, use 12V and 5Vs of the 24pin connector to power the GPU riser, and use the 12Vs of the CPU connector to power the GPU. However, finding this specific picoPSU would be kind of a miracle to my understanding.

The use of the HDPLEX 200W could work, but would require important modification to the case, more than I've already done and would be ok with, and would immensely complexify the build and cable management. Is there any alternative for a board-like picoPSU with wide input voltage that is small? Would it be possible to built myself? I'm not finding much for the moment.

Thanks

What kind of motherboard are you using? Stx and other mini PC boards also run with 12VDC.

Maybe this could help:

cityle

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
What kind of motherboard are you using? Stx and other mini PC boards also run with 12VDC.

I'm using a mini pc, an Asus PN50 to be more precise. I know NUCs can run on 12V, but I'm not sure if it would be the case with Ryzen minipcs (although I can try as I have a 12V power adapter on hand for the moment and I wouldn't risk frying it with lower voltage). But then the problem is to find a good 12V power adapter, that is not prohibitively priced.

Plus I still need to use a picoPSU, and even if the one have on hand right now fits, the v2 (or anything in that small form factor of a picopsu) would allow for way cleaner and easier cable runs to power the riser and the GPU (according to rumors the RTX 3050 would be 90W, thus I would have to deal with a 6pin GPU connector as well...)

Maybe this could help:

Ya already seen it, look at all the Gamecube pc log I could find. But I'm way too much of a purist to do that modification to the case 😄 I want to be as close as possible to a Gamecube feel and finish. My build log is here if you're interested: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/build-log-x-a-dreamcast-a-gamecube-pc/161583

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If your mini PC runs on 12V I think I could help you out to get your setup running:

With that you don't need a picopsu. Just the load switch module and one of my 12V bricks.

cityle

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
If your mini PC runs on 12V I think I could help you out to get your setup running:

With that you don't need a picopsu. Just the load switch module and one of my 12V bricks.

The PN50 does work with 12V. Played 10min of Dirt 3 on medium setting, and ran Time Spy, and no sign of instability whatsoever. So ya your stuff might be interesting with the 200W unit. Might it be possible to use barrel plugs?

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
That's great.

If you are going for one custom made set from me, I'll make you a DC cable according to your needs. Normally barrel for the mini PC and either barrel or case mountable XT60 connector for the GPU. This depends on the wattage of your graphics card. For up to 75W GPU barrel will be fine. For everything more powerful I would recommend to use XT60. Does the graphics card you are going to use need an additional 6 pin PCIe power connector?

cityle

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
I'm planning to go for a RTX 3050 which is rumored right now at 90W TDP. So that would mean 7.5A at 12V which should be quite fine for a barrel plug. Will surely not use my actual GTX 1660ti as I would need to solder in a new position the power connector (facing the rear right now) and putting a new smaller heatsink to make it fit (and the 120W TDP would be maybe too much for the volume of the Gamecube).

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I'm planning to go for a RTX 3050 which is rumored right now at 90W TDP. So that would mean 7.5A at 12V which should be quite fine for a barrel plug. Will surely not use my actual GTX 1660ti as I would need to solder in a new position the power connector (facing the rear right now) and putting a new smaller heatsink to make it fit (and the 120W TDP would be maybe too much for the volume of the Gamecube).

I guess that could work.

If you like you can drop me a PM or join my discord so we can figure out the details like cable length etc.