SFF.Network GT1030s Appear from MSI and Gigabyte

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Looks like MSI ditched the DVI Many have been asking for that. Passive cooling options too. Interesting cards if they are not too pricey. A decent gpu for an htpc or tiny workstation that needs a little more than an igpu can handle.

Last edited:

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 6, 2017
I'm interested to see how this performs next to the RX 550 which has been criticized for being bad value.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I'm interested to see how this performs next to the RX 550 which has been criticized for being bad value.

I just can't really conceive a part being worth manufacturing and selling (at a profit) when a card like the 1050(/Ti) exists around ~$100-$150.

Like, what sacrifices can you make from its level of performance and still have a worthwhile card? The 1050 is already the "budget option" for 1080p gaming, what function does a weaker GPU serve in this day and age?

I mean, I understand that there are people who still have monitors and TVs that have resolutions lower than 1080p, but it doesn't really add up to me to buy a 'new' part like that.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
How will they stack up against the RX 550? My guess is just going with core/ROP count is that they are gonna be somewhere between GT 730 and 740.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 6, 2017
I just can't really conceive a part being worth manufacturing and selling (at a profit) when a card like the 1050(/Ti) exists around ~$100-$150.

Like, what sacrifices can you make from its level of performance and still have a worthwhile card? The 1050 is already the "budget option" for 1080p gaming, what function does a weaker GPU serve in this day and age?

I mean, I understand that there are people who still have monitors and TVs that have resolutions lower than 1080p, but it doesn't really add up to me to buy a 'new' part like that.
If the price and performance scaled down perfectly I wouldn't mind such a product.

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Amazing.
No current Intel iGPU has native (as in, not internally converted from DP) HDMI 2.0 and these are the perfect workaround with minimum added power consumption or heat.

I just wonder, would any of the passive ones (maybe the gigabyte? looks slimmer) fit inside a Streacom F7C?
Is that DP or HDMI on the gigabyte cards?

What are other SFF case options to take advantage of single slot + half height goodness?

Also these have DP 1.4 (again, unlike Intel integrated GPUs), they could be used in an office to drive a single cable 8K display next year.
And watch youtube 8K in hardware VP9 decoding.
They're a cheap upgrade to a PC port and decoding capabilities.

Reactions: K888D

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Someone should literally build a custom SFF case around that amazing MSI passive gt 1030 with hdmi 2.0 and DP 1.4.

Some half height + single slot love is needed.

edit: also one of these inside a NFC S4 would leave room for some creative stuff (internal AC-DC brick, fans, antennas, LEDs, a speaker, USB accessories and dongles, etc.)

Within a generation the output capabilities of these cards will be integrated in Intel next gen iGPUs, but those are still months away and above all these are upgradable. 4 years from now you can easily upgrade to an "HDMI 3.0" card for 60-70€.

35W CPU + ~30W fanless GPU + internal DC-DC + internal AC-DC all upgradable

vs

mini-STX 65W cpu only
or something like a NUC

The first solution is slightly bigger but fully upgradable.

People are hyped about MXM GPUs on mini-STX systems but I wonder what could be achievable if there was more interest in low profile single slot cards (also taking into consideration HBM memories and the smaller video I/O ports we have nowadays)

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Amazing.
No current Intel iGPU has native (as in, not internally converted from DP) HDMI 2.0 and these are the perfect workaround with minimum added power consumption or heat.

I just wonder, would any of the passive ones (maybe the gigabyte? looks slimmer) fit inside a Streacom F7C?
Is that DP or HDMI on the gigabyte cards?

What are other SFF case options to take advantage of single slot + half height goodness?

Also these have DP 1.4 (again, unlike Intel integrated GPUs), they could be used in an office to drive a single cable 8K display next year.
And watch youtube 8K in hardware VP9 decoding.
They're a cheap upgrade to a PC port and decoding capabilities.

Exactly, one of the main advantages of these cards is to provide the latest video/audio connectivity and media acceleration without necessarily all of the gaming grunt, its hard to believe that even the latest generation of iGPU's don't have accompanying HDMI 2.0 ports!

I agree though that the price tag is too close to the much more powerful 460's and 1050's.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016

The biggest PC games in the world, e.g. Minecraft & League of Legends, are just about not enough on integrated GPU at 1080p, and that $100-$150 is still out of budget for many young people that play these games.

Also for many people just need to connect more than 2 monitors that iGPU provides for work purpose. People in finance or coding or medical etc love having more screens, but have no use for more graphics power.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
In China this card makes sense because the 1050 ti is close to the 1060 3g cards in price. 400-600rmb for the 1030, 700-1000 for 1050 and 900-1200 for the 1050ti

Reactions: Phuncz

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
So gaming wise this performs worse than the 750 Ti. I would expect that, but I haven't yet seen how much it can be overclocked and if it can match the 750 Ti in that regard. Although I have seen some videos that show some pretty crazy boost clocks if accurate. Up to 1800Mhz...