SFF.Network Low Volume Ep. 11 - One For Three

Download the podcast here.
  • Today's hosts: James Schell (Aibohphobia), John Morrison (confusis) and Joshua Ramirez (PlayfulPhoenix).
  • 4:20: Logic Supply Double-Hitter: The release of the CL100, a finless Bramwell-Based NUC; and the announcement of the #GoFanless dirty PC picture contest!
  • 16:50: Samsung's SM961 M.2 drive nears availability: Up to 1TB of storage space (!) and 3200MB/s performance, Joshua says: FINALLY!
  • 26:15: James notices that Gigabyte has posted a "GTX 1070 Mini-ITX OC" card on their website, with little fanfare.
  • 32:00: The SFF Build Challenge! This month’s build: the best creative professional rig for $1k or less! Think photo and video editing, music mixing, rendering, multi-tasking...
    • 37:30: John’s build, a mini-ITX desktop with an i7 6400, a Sandisk X400 M.2 drive paired with a Team Group 960GB SATA SSD, and a Gigabyte GTX 950 graphics card!
    • 39:35: James’ build, a micro-ATX build (that's totally not under 19L, come on James!) with an i5 6600K and aftermarket cooler, a 3TB HDD paired with a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, and an EVGA GTX 960!
    • 43:20: Joshua’s build, a mini-ITX desktop with an i7 6700, a Corsair Force 960GB SSD, and a Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB card!
    • 47:50: John's critique, "You don't want to overclock a workstation, James! Nice rule-breaking case, too... And Joshua, CUDA is way better for a workstation than OpenGL on AMD tech, it's just a fact - plus you've only got 1 TB of storage total. Oh, and your RX 480 might destroy your motherboard."
    • 49:45: James’ critique, "A slavish adherence to the rules is unhealthy, and m-ITX for a 'workstation' (like you guys have) makes no sense at all. John's rig doesn't even support long cards, and Josh's RX 480 is a massive compromise."
    • 53:10: Joshua’s critique, "John, I looked up your M.2 drive and it's not any faster than your SATA drive! What gives?... As for you, James, you skimped on your processor and broke the rules on overall volume. And both of yall's builds use less powerful graphics and processors than me, to boot."
  • 1:09:50: This episode's Freakin' Fantastic Fully Favorite Forum Fread of the Fortuitous Fortnight (*chokes*): John's own Project Shhhh!
Be sure to look for the SFF Build Challenge article and voting thread on SFF Network and SFF Forum starting tomorrow! And stay tuned for a special edition of Low Volume, where the three J's discuss the first 365 days of smallformfactor.net.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Gonna check this out later today hopefully, right now busy workin' with them casemods.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yerp yes sir ! I have the week off, I want to finish it now that I have all this free time. Spray painting this many layers because of lack of professional setup is just costing me a lot of time (2-4hr dry time per layer :\), considering I've finished most of the other work that was time-consuming.