GPU Mounting Question

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
Working on a back-to-back (w/PCIe riser) design that requires the GPU to be mounted with the connector facing upward.

The only way I can think of mounting it is by using the right-angle tab that comes from the GPU face plate to fasten the GPU to the case, and then using the face plate tabs as leverage against the rest of the GPU by having a little sheath attached to the inside of the case that the tabs would slip into.

Any advice? I might be able to add a stand off that could support the weight of the GPU, but because of the way the cooler is designed for the Gigabyte 970 mini, there isn't really a good contact point.

The card would be oriented so that these tabs would be facing upwards:

And this part of the face plate would be used to screw the GPU down:

The weight of the GPU would cause the card to pivot away from the face plate's right-angle where it is screwed into the case, while the "tabs" would be used as leverage against the "sheath" to keep the GPU from pivoting:

And the whole picture:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
This would work, but normally the GPU is screwed in to such a flange from the other side, the four small folds you can see in the last picture you posted are supposed to press against the case to act as springs, keeping the screws from rattling free.

The sheath is a simple solution, but not something that can't be changed easily. You could also mount a small piece of metal with screws from the rear, for example.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's a bit hard to see but this is probably the simplest way to do it: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/system/FalconNW/TikiTitan/DSC_9563.jpg

It's called a "bridge" and is formed with a punch. If you do a bridge or some other type of formed "sheath", make sure it's possible to get the card in and out of them. In your render there's only a small gap for the retention bracket flange so it'd be difficult to get the card in and out if it can't slide straight forward from the frame.

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
The way I imagine installing the card would be to sort of "rock" it in, starting by sliding the tabs under the sheath, and then pivoting on that until the 90° bracket pops through to the outside of the case.

I actually already reworked the "sheath" to instead be a spot welded nut. That way, you'd just install a large washer with a bolt, and secure the card upon installation, as opposed to having a formed sheath of bent metal.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That'll work, assuming the chassis allows easy access to that area to install the bolt.