SFF.Network GIGABYTE reveals next-gen 16-core Atom Server ITX board

GIGABYTE Server, the enterprise and embedded branch of Gigabyte’s consumer brand, has released the specifications for its MA10-ST0 motherboard, complete with Intel Atom C3958 SoC (System on a Chip). This is remarkable since this is the first sighting of this SoC, which is a Denverton-family CPU that has only been revealed as a dual-core C3338 with a 1.5 GHz base clock and 2.2 GHz boost clock.

Read more here.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Nice to finally see a gen of these Atom server boards. It'd be interesting to see Asrock's offering too.

TWO of them 10gbe ports are nice too. Hopefully it'll be less than $300? Or am I dreaming.

I'm wondering if those angled mini-SAS ports will mean that most NAS cases won't fit?

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Most cases do still have a bit of empty space left at the front.
It should also be noted that NAS caes have to also have room for drives, and front mounted bays are still common, so as long as they are removable, it should be workable (and non-removable drive cages are evil).

I should mention the mini-SAS ports. THIS is the kind of stuff I keep wishing we'd see on consumer boards to pack in features. More compact connectors to save space for other stuff.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I could find a use for one of these. SFP and mini SAS are both things im hoping will eventually make it to the consumer space...eventually

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Tyki

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2016
4 full sized DIMMS is also nothing to ignore. If this thing stays cool and is energy efficient, I think it can be a really solid product being able to use 8 drives with a mini SAS to SATA converter.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yup ! The biggest issue with these boards is finding a case for 8 or more drives that's not huge or rackmount.

Tyki

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2016
Yup ! The biggest issue with these boards is finding a case for 8 or more drives that's not huge or rackmount.
It looks like there are a few real options. The DS380 and the PC-Q26 which is pretty damn big. There's also the Will Jaya 8-Bay NAS which looks pretty similar to the U-NAS NSC-800.

We could "mod" the CaseLabs X2M with 2 CaseLabs HDD cages which does look very attractive. This would probably be my choice.

That's all I can find right now besides some weird Alibaba prototypes that are just sketchy to say the least. Looks like this board will have plenty of options... not all of them great however.

Last edited:

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
I don't have a use for a board like this, but it makes the nerd in me happy all the same. I could see this being great for a small business that needs a small cheap storage option. High storage and network bandwidth with enough cpu power to do some decent compression work.